Jul 25, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The Yankees have lost their third baseman for 6-8 weeks. Ramiro Pena is not the long term answer. So what’s a team to do? How about trade for the guy who, as of now, is the most desirable third baseman on the market:
The Yankees will be considering all 3B options, including Chase Headley, who’d make sense for them on a lot of levels.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 25, 2012
Hedley is hitting .265/.360/.422 with 11 homers and 50 driven in on the year. His 121 OPS+ is identical to last year’s mark. Yankee Stadium would be way better place for him to ply his trade than Petco, of course.
The Padres have been said to be asking an arm and a leg for Headley, however, so it’s an open question whether the Yankees have enough to pry him loose, especially given the interest of other teams, including the Indians, A’s and Pirates.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 24
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (206)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)