Jul 25, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The Yankees have lost their third baseman for 6-8 weeks. Ramiro Pena is not the long term answer. So what’s a team to do? How about trade for the guy who, as of now, is the most desirable third baseman on the market:
The Yankees will be considering all 3B options, including Chase Headley, who’d make sense for them on a lot of levels.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 25, 2012
Hedley is hitting .265/.360/.422 with 11 homers and 50 driven in on the year. His 121 OPS+ is identical to last year’s mark. Yankee Stadium would be way better place for him to ply his trade than Petco, of course.
The Padres have been said to be asking an arm and a leg for Headley, however, so it’s an open question whether the Yankees have enough to pry him loose, especially given the interest of other teams, including the Indians, A’s and Pirates.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17