Jul 25, 2012, 11:02 AM EST
The Yankees have lost their third baseman for 6-8 weeks. Ramiro Pena is not the long term answer. So what’s a team to do? How about trade for the guy who, as of now, is the most desirable third baseman on the market:
The Yankees will be considering all 3B options, including Chase Headley, who’d make sense for them on a lot of levels.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 25, 2012
Hedley is hitting .265/.360/.422 with 11 homers and 50 driven in on the year. His 121 OPS+ is identical to last year’s mark. Yankee Stadium would be way better place for him to ply his trade than Petco, of course.
The Padres have been said to be asking an arm and a leg for Headley, however, so it’s an open question whether the Yankees have enough to pry him loose, especially given the interest of other teams, including the Indians, A’s and Pirates.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)