Jul 25, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Milwaukee skipping Zack Greinke‘s turn in the rotation last week so he could “recharge his batteries” worked out pretty well, as Greinke returned last night with seven innings of one-run ball in what may be his final Brewers start.
Afterward he declined to discuss the specifics of any contract extension talks, although he did apologize to reporters for doing so and talked pretty openly about his feelings surrounding potentially pitching his last game in a Brewers uniform.
Here’s some of what he said, via Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
It’s kind of fun playing here and we’ve got a lot of good players. We’re just not pulling out wins at the moment, which is disappointing. … I really don’t want to think about a different team when I’m on this team. … Obviously something could happen, but I enjoy playing here. I don’t really look forward to being traded from this place, but it could happen. That’s just baseball. I won’t take it personal if it happens. They’ve got to do what they’ve got to do what’s best for the organzation.
Every indication is that the Brewers will trade Greinke by July 31 if they aren’t able to work out a long-term extension and at this point there’s no real indication that extension talks have progressed very far.
Greinke’s next scheduled start is Sunday against the Nationals at Miller Park and the trade deadline is about 48 hours later.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (93)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)