Jul 26, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin has dropped some very strong hints that he’ll be trading Zack Greinke before Tuesday’s deadline, but now he’s left zero doubt.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today spoke to Melvin today and reports that he “will definitely be traded.”
Melvin said previously that the Brewers would deal Greinke if they couldn’t work out a long-term contract extension before the July 31 deadline and admitted to Nightengale that they haven’t negotiated since spring training because Greinke wants to test the market as a free agent:
I don’t think Zack is about the money personally. You get a young guy that’s , and in my conversations with him, you get a chance to be a free agent one time. You’ve got to look at that opportunity. He’s been in a small market here. A small market in Kansas City. He’s always said he enjoyed in, but he wants to take a look at everything out there.
There’s always been speculation that Greinke wouldn’t have interest in playing for a big-market team because of his social anxiety issues, but it’s not as if the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers will be the only teams willing to offer him a ton of money as a free agent.
Melvin described Greinke as “like a son to me” and praised his presence in the Brewers’ clubhouse, saying “it’s been a great experience having him for a year and a half.” And during that year-and-a-half Greinke is 25-9 with a 3.67 ERA and 323 strikeouts in 295 innings.
Nightengale lists the Rangers, Angels, Braves, and White Sox as the primary suitors for Greinke, but as Melvin said: “There are a lot of teams that have shown interest. … There are so many good things about him, it’s going to be difficult when we trade him.”
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 47
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 73
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)