Jul 26, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin has dropped some very strong hints that he’ll be trading Zack Greinke before Tuesday’s deadline, but now he’s left zero doubt.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today spoke to Melvin today and reports that he “will definitely be traded.”
Melvin said previously that the Brewers would deal Greinke if they couldn’t work out a long-term contract extension before the July 31 deadline and admitted to Nightengale that they haven’t negotiated since spring training because Greinke wants to test the market as a free agent:
I don’t think Zack is about the money personally. You get a young guy that’s , and in my conversations with him, you get a chance to be a free agent one time. You’ve got to look at that opportunity. He’s been in a small market here. A small market in Kansas City. He’s always said he enjoyed in, but he wants to take a look at everything out there.
There’s always been speculation that Greinke wouldn’t have interest in playing for a big-market team because of his social anxiety issues, but it’s not as if the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers will be the only teams willing to offer him a ton of money as a free agent.
Melvin described Greinke as “like a son to me” and praised his presence in the Brewers’ clubhouse, saying “it’s been a great experience having him for a year and a half.” And during that year-and-a-half Greinke is 25-9 with a 3.67 ERA and 323 strikeouts in 295 innings.
Nightengale lists the Rangers, Angels, Braves, and White Sox as the primary suitors for Greinke, but as Melvin said: “There are a lot of teams that have shown interest. … There are so many good things about him, it’s going to be difficult when we trade him.”
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1