Jul 26, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
Brewers manager Ron Roenicke was hoping for some stability when he removed John Axford from the closer role early last week, but he hasn’t had any such luck. Francisco Rodriguez blew two save chances against the Phillies this week while allowing six runs on five hits and three walks over just 1 1/3 innings, so the Brewers are going back to the drawing board.
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Roenicke plans to use a closer-by-committee approach for the time being.
“We’re going to go with whatever we see in the game and who fits that slot,” said Roenicke. “Unfortunately, it’s come to that. I’d rather have a set bullpen. But we’re going to match up and see how we do that way.”
As for who may get the ball in a save situation, Roenicke told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that everyone is under consideration, including veteran right-hander Livan Hernandez. Livo, who is in his 17th season in the big leagues, notched his first career save back on May 5 as a member of the Braves.
While seeing a crafty junkballer like Hernandez try to lock down some save chances would be pretty entertaining — and likely terrifying for Brewers fans — it might not be long before Axford gets his old gig back. He has tossed 5 1/3 scoreless innings since being removed from the closer role, including three strikeouts over two shutout frames in the Brewers’ extra-inning loss to the Phillies yesterday.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)