Jul 26, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
In talking to Baltimore reporters about Cal Ripken Jr.’s mother being abducted at gunpoint Orioles manager Buck Showalter revealed that his own mother went through a similar ordeal.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun has the details:
In 2000, when Showalter was managing the Arizona Diamondbacks, his elderly mother was living alone in the house where he was raised in small-town Century, Fla., when someone broke in during the middle of the night. The man told Showalter’s mother not to turn on the bedroom light and he tied her up in a radio wire–she had been listening to a baseball game earlier that night–and burglarized the house, Showalter said.
“She found out later she knew the guy. She took him around, showed him where all the cash was,” Showalter said. “She remembered where she had some other [money] hid, so she took him over there to make sure he got enough.”
After the man left, Showalter said his mother untied herself and went to bed, not telling her family until the next day. The burglar was later identified, but was killed in a separate incident a few days later.
Police are still looking for the man who abducted Violet Ripken on Tuesday, but thankfully she’s back home safe and unharmed.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 9
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (83)