Jul 26, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
In talking to Baltimore reporters about Cal Ripken Jr.’s mother being abducted at gunpoint Orioles manager Buck Showalter revealed that his own mother went through a similar ordeal.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun has the details:
In 2000, when Showalter was managing the Arizona Diamondbacks, his elderly mother was living alone in the house where he was raised in small-town Century, Fla., when someone broke in during the middle of the night. The man told Showalter’s mother not to turn on the bedroom light and he tied her up in a radio wire–she had been listening to a baseball game earlier that night–and burglarized the house, Showalter said.
“She found out later she knew the guy. She took him around, showed him where all the cash was,” Showalter said. “She remembered where she had some other [money] hid, so she took him over there to make sure he got enough.”
After the man left, Showalter said his mother untied herself and went to bed, not telling her family until the next day. The burglar was later identified, but was killed in a separate incident a few days later.
Police are still looking for the man who abducted Violet Ripken on Tuesday, but thankfully she’s back home safe and unharmed.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)