Jul 26, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
In talking to Baltimore reporters about Cal Ripken Jr.’s mother being abducted at gunpoint Orioles manager Buck Showalter revealed that his own mother went through a similar ordeal.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun has the details:
In 2000, when Showalter was managing the Arizona Diamondbacks, his elderly mother was living alone in the house where he was raised in small-town Century, Fla., when someone broke in during the middle of the night. The man told Showalter’s mother not to turn on the bedroom light and he tied her up in a radio wire–she had been listening to a baseball game earlier that night–and burglarized the house, Showalter said.
“She found out later she knew the guy. She took him around, showed him where all the cash was,” Showalter said. “She remembered where she had some other [money] hid, so she took him over there to make sure he got enough.”
After the man left, Showalter said his mother untied herself and went to bed, not telling her family until the next day. The burglar was later identified, but was killed in a separate incident a few days later.
Police are still looking for the man who abducted Violet Ripken on Tuesday, but thankfully she’s back home safe and unharmed.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)