Carlos Gomez has the best foul ball trot in baseball

Jul 26, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT

Carlos Gomez killed a baseball during the first inning of yesterday’s Brewers-Phillies game. Unfortunately for him it went foul.  Fortunately for the rest of us, Gomez either didn’t watch it or didn’t look to the umpires, because he thought it was a homer and trotted all the way around the bases anyway:

Best part: he struck out on the very next pitch. That’s some high-quality entertainment right there.

1. Jonny 5 - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Well, he got quite the ovation, that’s a plus.

2. btwicey - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Bahahaha reason 74 I love baseball

3. hasbeen5 - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM

There has to be an unwritten rule violation and impending HBP here right?

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM

i think the caught-looking strikeout is a better solution

• bravojawja - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM

If by “HBP” you mean “strike his fool ass out looking,” then yes.

• hasbeen5 - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Sorry I forgot the /sarcasm tag. Didn’t think I needed it.

4. anythingbutyanks - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM

At least it appears that none of the players on either team decided to be an ass and make him feel worse. I think he saw that third strike coming in and thought “f*#% it, I’m getting out of here.”

5. baccards - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM

He hit it a ton, thought it was fair – didn’t stand around posing, flip a bat, nothing – just ran the bases
    We should have no problem with it -

• djpostl - Jul 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Amen, just the by-product of a guy who lowers his head and hustles his ass off. Same guy turned Wigginton’s dropped pop-up into a a man on second base & a run because he hustled his ass off in that series.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM

That’s kind of what I was thinking,….usually guys get in trouble for watching. But, I suppose, if it’s over by the foul line they really can’t blame you for watching. I still think it’s lame they get grief for watching a hr, so I feel kinda sorry for this guy.

6. heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Maybe he read an inspirational quote before the game: ” Think it, believe it, and you’ll be able to achieve it.”

7. dwrek5 - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I love Polanco holding up 2 fingers. “Strike 2 buddy!”

• townballblog - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM

It was actually Wigginton… but yeah, I saw that too. Pretty funny.

• djpostl - Jul 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I thought Ty meant “go to second base as I drop this can-o-corn pop-up”.

8. jehzsa - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I would have started blowing kisses to the fans right about after the turn at third. And high-fived the plate umpire. Or the catcher.

Hey, it’s Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love!

9. townballblog - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I don’t know if anyone else saw this…. After the top of the inning he was coming out of the dugout and almost tripped on the stairs, followed by kicking the dirt out of frustration.

I love baseball.

10. mjames1229 - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Even better was in tenth inning, Gomez hit a routine pop-up to 3B, who lost it in the sun and dropped it. The iso camera on Gomez showed him flying around the bases and was standing on 2nd base before the ball even landed.

Gomez would be a Gold Glover for sure if his bat could keep him in the line-up. Too much Willie Mays Hayes in him.

11. Joe - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I missed that one, but I can’t say I’m surprised. He seems like a bit of a loon. In his defense, though, he did hit a couple of massive home runs in the first two games of the series, one hitting the foul pole in left and the other landing just inside. He probably just trotted around the bases out of habit.

12. pinkfloydprism - Jul 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM

And then he strikes out… the irony. Love it!

13. mrredlegz - Jul 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Retribution for the crotch-chop this clown gave me during last September’s sweep of my beloved Redlegs. Good stuff.

14. cogitobaseballergosum - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I predict the largest fine in the history of kangaroo courts.

15. ch0psuey - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Never liked this guy. Coincidentally, the guy batting behind him as well.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3733)