Jul 26, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
Batting fifth and playing third base, Hanley Ramirez tripled in his first at-bat with the Dodgers and later added an RBI single, but it wasn’t enough as the club lost to the Cardinals 3-2 in 12 innings.
Ramirez is expected to move back to shortstop for the Dodgers, but since he hadn’t played there at all this season, manager Don Mattingly made the call to leave him at third base tonight.
Ramirez had an odd play defensively anyway, as Yadier Molina‘s grounder went off his glove with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Fortunately, the ball deflected right to shortstop Luis Cruz, who was able to make the throw to first in time to retire Molina and send a 2-2 game to extra innings.
The Cardinals won when ex-Dodger Rafael Furcal singled in pinch-runner Joe Kelly in the bottom of the 12th. The injured Lance Berkman started that rally with a walk and was immediately removed. With two outs, Matt Carpenter hit a single to center that should have put runners on the corners, except Kelly slipped on second base as he made the turn and had to stay put. He scored anyway on Furcal’s hit, which was mishandled by Tony Gwynn Jr. in left.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)