Jul 26, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
Batting fifth and playing third base, Hanley Ramirez tripled in his first at-bat with the Dodgers and later added an RBI single, but it wasn’t enough as the club lost to the Cardinals 3-2 in 12 innings.
Ramirez is expected to move back to shortstop for the Dodgers, but since he hadn’t played there at all this season, manager Don Mattingly made the call to leave him at third base tonight.
Ramirez had an odd play defensively anyway, as Yadier Molina‘s grounder went off his glove with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Fortunately, the ball deflected right to shortstop Luis Cruz, who was able to make the throw to first in time to retire Molina and send a 2-2 game to extra innings.
The Cardinals won when ex-Dodger Rafael Furcal singled in pinch-runner Joe Kelly in the bottom of the 12th. The injured Lance Berkman started that rally with a walk and was immediately removed. With two outs, Matt Carpenter hit a single to center that should have put runners on the corners, except Kelly slipped on second base as he made the turn and had to stay put. He scored anyway on Furcal’s hit, which was mishandled by Tony Gwynn Jr. in left.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)