Nick Swisher not quite ready to return from strained hip flexor

Jul 26, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT

Nick Swisher Getty Getty Images

Nick Swisher was originally considered day-to-day when he left last Friday’s game with a strained left hip flexor. However, he sat out rest of the weekend and this week’s three-game series against the Mariners. Now the Yankees have ruled him out for tomorrow’s series opener against the Red Sox.

The good news for the Bombers is that it doesn’t appear to be a DL-situation. According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, Swisher took batting practice and ran the bases during a workout this afternoon at Yankee Stadium. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman later said Swisher will “definitely” not be active for tomorrow’s game, but a return on Saturday is possible.

Swisher, 31, is hitting .258/.342/.470 with 14 home runs, 54 RBI and an .812 OPS in 85 games played this season. Ichiro Suzuki has been playing right field since coming over from the Mariners on Monday, but he’s expected to slide over to left field once Swisher is ready to return.

1. randygnyc - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Should DL him. We don’t need him now. Actually, the only thing we need is for him not to make it worse.

2. cackalackyank - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I’d say DL him if there was some really great help waiting in SWB to call up. I do not really see a lot of fill in help there so I would say stand pat on this. I am actually still much more concerned with the need to keep Eric Chavez healthy and playing 3rd for most, if not all of the rest of the season. Eric Chavez health is all that stands between us and an every day dose of ….*Gasp* Ramiro Pena.

• pisano - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM

clackalackyank…..I read a blog on River ave. Blues this morning that will help you with the Pena thing, but in reality could even be worse, and that is they say their going to send Pena back down as soon as ( now hold your breath ) Nunez is ready, which is any day now. Pick your poison.

• djpostl - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Not NunE5z =(

3. homelanddefense - Jul 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM

If I was him I wouldnt come back either, Id stay home with Joanna Garcia!!!!

• basedrum777 - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

His wife is bangin’

4. IdahoMariner - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I am not a Yankees fan, so someone educate me — is left field harder to cover in Yankee Stadium than right? Because I would want Swisher’s bat back in the line up if I am the Yankees, but I am not sure I’d rather have him in right over Ichiro. Ichiro’s bat has gotten older, but his defense hasn’t.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet