Jul 26, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
So much for the Phillies trading Placido Polanco.
Philadelphia has placed the third baseman on the disabled list with lower back inflammation and he won’t be eligible to return until a week after the July 31 trade deadline.
Of course, finding a taker for the 36-year-old would have been tough even if Polanco were healthy, as he’s hit just .255 with a .628 OPS in 82 games this season, wasn’t much better last season, and is owed about $3 million for the remainder of this year with a $1 million buyout on his $5.5 million option for 2014.
Ty Wigginton figures to be the primary fill-in at third base, which is a big downgrade defensively and not much of an upgrade offensively considering he’s 34 years old and hitting .234 with a .678 OPS in 86 games.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)