Jul 26, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
So much for the Phillies trading Placido Polanco.
Philadelphia has placed the third baseman on the disabled list with lower back inflammation and he won’t be eligible to return until a week after the July 31 trade deadline.
Of course, finding a taker for the 36-year-old would have been tough even if Polanco were healthy, as he’s hit just .255 with a .628 OPS in 82 games this season, wasn’t much better last season, and is owed about $3 million for the remainder of this year with a $1 million buyout on his $5.5 million option for 2014.
Ty Wigginton figures to be the primary fill-in at third base, which is a big downgrade defensively and not much of an upgrade offensively considering he’s 34 years old and hitting .234 with a .678 OPS in 86 games.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)