Jul 26, 2012, 12:24 AM EDT
Single-A Salem’s Michael Almanzar, the son of former big-league reliever Carlos Almanzar, got hits in his first three at-bats Wednesday to reach base in 16 straight plate appearances before flying out in his final at-bat of the night.
The minor league record for such a feat is unknown, but Almanzar matched the modern-day major league record established by Ted Williams in 1957.
Almanzar, who received a $1.5 million bonus to sign with the Red Sox out of the Dominican Republic five years ago, began the streak by going 2-for-2 with two walks on Sunday. He followed that up by going 3-for-3 with a homer and a HBP on Monday and 4-for-4 with a walk on Tuesday. Three more hits tonight got him to 16.
Almanzar was viewed as a major disappointment entering the season — he hit just .199 with four homers in 397 at-bats for two A-ball teams in 2011 — but he’s put himself back on the map by hitting .316/.369/.481 with nine homers for Salem this year. He’s just 21, and he’s routinely been young for his leagues. Double-A next year will determine whether he’s a legitimate prospect. Since he’s made the move from third base to first, his bat will have to carry him.
- Report: Mets “pushing very hard” for Carlos Gomez 0
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 33
- Dodgers-Marlins trade involving Mat Latos “being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 61
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)