Jul 26, 2012, 12:24 AM EDT
Single-A Salem’s Michael Almanzar, the son of former big-league reliever Carlos Almanzar, got hits in his first three at-bats Wednesday to reach base in 16 straight plate appearances before flying out in his final at-bat of the night.
The minor league record for such a feat is unknown, but Almanzar matched the modern-day major league record established by Ted Williams in 1957.
Almanzar, who received a $1.5 million bonus to sign with the Red Sox out of the Dominican Republic five years ago, began the streak by going 2-for-2 with two walks on Sunday. He followed that up by going 3-for-3 with a homer and a HBP on Monday and 4-for-4 with a walk on Tuesday. Three more hits tonight got him to 16.
Almanzar was viewed as a major disappointment entering the season — he hit just .199 with four homers in 397 at-bats for two A-ball teams in 2011 — but he’s put himself back on the map by hitting .316/.369/.481 with nine homers for Salem this year. He’s just 21, and he’s routinely been young for his leagues. Double-A next year will determine whether he’s a legitimate prospect. Since he’s made the move from third base to first, his bat will have to carry him.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)