Jul 26, 2012, 12:24 AM EDT
Single-A Salem’s Michael Almanzar, the son of former big-league reliever Carlos Almanzar, got hits in his first three at-bats Wednesday to reach base in 16 straight plate appearances before flying out in his final at-bat of the night.
The minor league record for such a feat is unknown, but Almanzar matched the modern-day major league record established by Ted Williams in 1957.
Almanzar, who received a $1.5 million bonus to sign with the Red Sox out of the Dominican Republic five years ago, began the streak by going 2-for-2 with two walks on Sunday. He followed that up by going 3-for-3 with a homer and a HBP on Monday and 4-for-4 with a walk on Tuesday. Three more hits tonight got him to 16.
Almanzar was viewed as a major disappointment entering the season — he hit just .199 with four homers in 397 at-bats for two A-ball teams in 2011 — but he’s put himself back on the map by hitting .316/.369/.481 with nine homers for Salem this year. He’s just 21, and he’s routinely been young for his leagues. Double-A next year will determine whether he’s a legitimate prospect. Since he’s made the move from third base to first, his bat will have to carry him.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)