Jul 26, 2012, 6:24 PM EDT
It’s believed the Cubs asked for right-hander Zach Lee and then right-hander Allen Webster in negotiations with the Dodgers, but that the Dodgers thus far have been unwilling to budge. By involving a third term, perhaps the Dodgers could still get a young starter that would suit the Cubs’ needs while holding on to the organization’s top two prospects.
With Dempster, Matt Garza and Paul Maholm all involved in trade rumors, the Cubs’ priority is landing major league-ready starting pitching in deals. They had an agreement to get right-hander Randall Delgado from the Braves for Dempster, only to have that fall through with Dempster making Los Angeles his destination of choice.
9:00 p.m. EDT update: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Dodgers rejected the Cubs’ offer of Dempster for Webster. I think that was already assumed, but Heyman is the first to report it as fact.
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 26
- Rangers “close to getting” Phillies ace Cole Hamels 47
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 63
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 70
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)