Jul 26, 2012, 6:24 PM EDT
It’s believed the Cubs asked for right-hander Zach Lee and then right-hander Allen Webster in negotiations with the Dodgers, but that the Dodgers thus far have been unwilling to budge. By involving a third term, perhaps the Dodgers could still get a young starter that would suit the Cubs’ needs while holding on to the organization’s top two prospects.
With Dempster, Matt Garza and Paul Maholm all involved in trade rumors, the Cubs’ priority is landing major league-ready starting pitching in deals. They had an agreement to get right-hander Randall Delgado from the Braves for Dempster, only to have that fall through with Dempster making Los Angeles his destination of choice.
9:00 p.m. EDT update: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Dodgers rejected the Cubs’ offer of Dempster for Webster. I think that was already assumed, but Heyman is the first to report it as fact.
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 0
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 1
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 23
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)