Jul 26, 2012, 10:06 PM EDT
After returning to the United States over the weekend — and receiving three birthday cakes from his teammates — Roberto Hernandez made his first minor league rehab start tonight for Class A Lake County.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer passes along word that Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, allowed three runs (one earned) over five innings. He struck out four and walked none while throwing 46 out of 66 pitches for strikes.
Hernandez was arrested in his native Dominican Republic in January for falsifying his identity. He reached a deal in March to have the charges dropped in exchange for completing a work program and re-worked his contract with the Indians in hopes of avoiding a punishment from MLB. However, he is currently serving a three-week suspension.
Hernandez is eligible to return from his suspension on August 11, so he is currently lined up for two more tune-up starts.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 172
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)