Someone get Chipper Jones his medication

Jul 26, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Chipper Jones just got his Twitter account a couple of days ago.  He probably never would have gotten one, but someone created a well-followed fake one in recent days, and someone with MLB or the Braves convinced Jones to make an official one so people would know the difference between his and the fake.

It was not expected that he’d actually tweet too much because (a) Chipper Jones is kinda old; and (b) he strikes everyone as the kind of guy who doesn’t have much use for technology more advanced than a rifle scope.

But he has been tweeting a bit lately. And the results are … interesting:

Uh, what?

Nope. I’m more speechless than anything, thanks.

But as a big fan of yours, Chipper, a Braves fan in general and a man well-aware of how hard it is to not look silly as he approaches 40,  I ask that you please hit .400 for the rest of the season and win the World Series while operating under radio silence. You may then retire, take over as Braves manager for Fredi Gonzalez and institute a no-tweeting policy for all of your players.

Thanks!

1. martywinn - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Amen.

• Old Gator - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I’m sending Hanley Ramirez right over with Chipper’s medication.

• cur68 - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Gator! I just figured something out! urteamsux52 gotampabay52 is Larry!

Uh…sorry about calling you all those names, Larry. Can I have your autograph?

2. A.J. - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:32 AM

It’s goofy, worthy of laughing at, but in a fun way, not a “you’re making a fool of yourself” way, especially considering that it’s something no one ever thought he’d ever try.

I think it’s pretty cool he’s actually using it rather than making it a placeholder and pretending it never happened.

3. hasbeen5 - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Don’t even act like you’re not refreshing his page every 30 seconds.

4. number42is1 - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I substituted the words.. makes less sense than the original one

• thefalcon123 - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

“Mike b and jhey go yicketty! The roadrunner went mammo! And the Bravos have a winning road trip. My kind of day off, no action!!!”

Equals:

Mike b and jhey go homer! The Francisco went big bomb! And the Bravos have a winning road trip. My kind of day off, no action!!!

You’re right, that still doesn’t make sense.

• number42is1 - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

all your base are belong to us

5. sc101071 - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I’m with AJ. I think he’s actually a natural.

6. bravojawja - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I’m using “yicketty” and “mammo” in every conversation today.

“How’s the baby doing?”
    “He had a mammo yicketty!”
    “Dear God! Call the HAZMAT team! And change your pants.”

7. southcapitolstreet - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Great picture of Chipper. Are there two outs, or did Ronnie James Dio just step on stage?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Actually from the look of it, he’s posing on the top rop right before delivering a leg drop.

• townballblog - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Its from when he got the curtain call after his 5 for 5 game right before the all-star break.

• mybrunoblog - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Lol. Awesome Dio reference!

• aceshigh11 - Jul 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

The thumb is NOT supposed to be sticking out when flashing the devil horns.

If the thumb is out, it means, “I love you” in sign language…and that’s just about the most un-metal thing I can possibly think of.

Sorry…I’m an old-school heavy metal dork, and people who don’t tuck their thumbs in drive me up a wall.

However, you are cooler than cool for making a Dio reference on this board, may he rest in peace.

• mississippimusicman - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM

…whereas I’m an old-school American Sign Language dork, and people who mistake the I-Love-You sign for the horns, I assure you, also drive me up a wall.

8. hansob - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:39 AM

At this pace, he’ll have a complete Bob Dylan song written by the end of the month.

9. heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM

” It was not expected that he’d actually tweet too much because (a) Chipper Jones is kinda old”

Hmmmm, say Craig, how old are you again?

10. townballblog - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I’m sorry, Craig but I disagree with you. If this is the type of stuff he’ll tweet then please keep ‘em coming.

11. cranbery - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Age has nothing to do with Twitter……….I am Chipper’s Mom’s age and my friends and I enjoy it!

Can’t you guys say more positive things about Chipper instead of disrespecting him about his age????

When you can do what he has done in his career you might have a right to criticize him, but I doubt it!!!!!

He is a Star!

• bravojawja - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Lighten up, Francis.

• sabatimus - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I hate stairs.

12. mrwillie - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Tuesday night on the Braves post-game one of the host, JJ, said he would never join twitter until Chipper got on there. Brian Jordan, the other host and ex- bravo, said he would call Chipper that night and tell him to sign up…..sounds like he convinced him.

13. sabatimus - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Chipper’s just trying to be the baseball version of Tom Bombadil.

14. cleverbob - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Still makes more sense than Luke Scott

15. basedrum777 - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Its not really Chipper tweeting. Its someone who created a fake Chipper account. Chipper doesn’t have a twitter account and has no interest in making one. Google it and you’ll see. There have been plenty of posts about it being a fake account.

• ugglasforearms - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Did you read Mr. C’s post?
      Did you see mrwillie’s comment above?

16. Blackbird0520 - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Hey basedrum u dumbass maybe u should look into it a little more…the team and his teammates have all confirmed it’s actually him and not a fake.

• hasbeen5 - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Not to mention this article references the fake one being what prompted Chipper to start the real one.

17. MattJanik - Jul 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM

http://twitter.com/WTFChipper is a gold mine though.

18. snowbirdgothic - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Of course he went yicketty, the Kaiser having stolen the word “home run”. Also, he had an onion tied around his belt as he circled the bases, that being the fashion at the time.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1939)