Starling Marte homers on first pitch he sees in the big leagues

Jul 26, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT

Starling Marte Getty Getty Images

The Pirates threw top prospect Starling Marte right into the fire for his major league debut tonight against the Astros by placing him in the leadoff spot. However, the 23-year-old outfielder rose to the occasion by depositing the first pitch he saw from left-hander Dallas Keuchel over the left field fence. MLB.com won’t let me embed the video, but you can watch it right here.

Marte is the 28th player in major league history to homer on the first pitch of his career and the first Pirate to do it since Don Leppert on June 18, 1961. He’s the first player to lead off his first major league game with a homer since Kaz Matsui did it with the Mets on April 6, 2004.

By the way, Marte just flew out in his second at-bat, so he clearly should have gone out on a high note.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM

OK, can the blogging world get over MLB not allowing people to embed video? I don’t mean to take it out on you in particular, DJ, but every blog I read complains about it in every post referencing a particular event. We get it, it is mildly annoying, but not a huge deal. It is not any worse than this blog only allowing the first few sentences to come through my RSS feed, thus preventing me from reading it on the subway when I have no web access. And for the same reason: to drive traffic to your own page. Let’s just focus on the story and quit the ubiquitous MLB-won’t-letme-embed-the-video-but-provides-an-easy-link stuff.

• D.J. Short - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM

But how are things supposed to change unless I’m passive-aggressive about it? :-)

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Didn’t Bud Selig already say that, among all of the people he has talked to, there has been no demand for embeddable video, just like there has been no demand for additional replay? ;-)

Until he figures out a way to monetize embedded video, it ain’t gonna happen.

2. redguy12588 - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Thanks for making this article about embedding videos and not about an exciting young pirate.

• Sign Ahead - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I counted 7 words about embedding, and they could easily be read as a simple explanation about why we can’t see the video here. I think you may be protesting a little too much.

• derklempner - Jul 27, 2012 at 3:06 AM

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

3. ottomanismydog - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:26 PM

It’s a Marte Parte – First Pitch Swingin’

• istillbelieveinblue - Jul 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Of course, the knock on him at AAA was is over-aggressiveness. :)

4. atwatercrushesokoye - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Makes sense, the Astros are pretty much a triple A team so it wasn’t any harder than what he’s used to.

• andrewproughcfe - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM

So Marte’s home run doesn’t really count, right?

You think we should take away the stats of all the other players who played against Houston this year?

How about their wins – since they aren’t really a major league team, you think we should vacate all their wins? Give all those wins back to the Dodgers and the Braves and the Rangers and the Reds and the Nationals and the White Sox and the Giants, right? Or do those teams also not qualify as major league teams, since they lost to a minor league outfit?

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Whoa, relax! It was a joke. But since you bring it up yes all the wins should be vacated…

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Moreover I’m actually happy the Pirates are doing well, I was a Pirates fan back in the day, during the days of Van Slyke and the Kilker B’s, and Drabek, Smiley and Wakefield, I still maintain to this day that Sid Bream was out, his lead leg was up in the air and Mike Lavallier tagged his bottom leg before it got to the plate…but I digress. anyways my comment wasn’t meant to offend any Pirates fans, I certainly hope they make the playoffs.

• jarathen - Jul 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM

This would be met with nods of approvals by Angels fans. Cannot wait until the Halos get to beat on Texas’ little sister team.

5. cosmoandmelovepens - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:51 PM

This post is about marte hitting a home run, not about MLB.com and embedding

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I think you accidentally typed “is” instead of “should be” in your post. Easy mistake.

6. evilnaturedrobots - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Pirates are looking dangerous! Two decent lefty starters in between Burnett Mcdonald & Karstens and now a lead off hitter!?!? What’s next?? A power hitting outfielder??

7. flyeredup - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Marte for Pence. Done deal!

8. passthepeppa - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

this whole post is gay. Go Bucs! Where is the video of the HR??? SMH

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I don’t understand. Is this post is sexually attracted to same-sex posts? Or is it happy and care-free in a 1940′s kind of way?

9. psunick - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Just when I thought I’d heard the last of “vacated wins.”

10. newenglandrawks - Jul 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Daniel Nava hit a grand slam on the first pitch he saw in the majors on June 12, 2010

11. seeinred87 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

If he keeps up this pace, he’ll be the all time HR leader by 2017 or 2018

12. bubblehead2012 - Jul 29, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Only had to go back 3 days to find news on the Pirates…

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3455)