Jul 26, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Not exactly shocking and not exactly a secret, but given how cagey general managers tend to be about players they’re trading, this is notable:
“We’re taking phone calls,” Melvin told WTMJ’s Greg Matzek. “We’ve been working here. I’m in the office in the ‘war room’ already. It’s a busy week. At this point we have to listen to opportunities to improve the ball club for the future and still try to win ball games now.”
Asked by Matzek how many teams have contacted him about Greinke, Melvin said, “There’s a lot of teams that make contact. You try to narrow the list down in that regard. You take the serious ones.
Tom Haudricourt reports that the Rangers, Angels, Braves and White Sox are all in on Greinke.
Maybe I’m just being insecure, but I have this fear that the Braves are thinking about giving up a way-too-big-package for Greinke. So, please, Rangers or someone, overpay.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)