Jul 26, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Not exactly shocking and not exactly a secret, but given how cagey general managers tend to be about players they’re trading, this is notable:
“We’re taking phone calls,” Melvin told WTMJ’s Greg Matzek. “We’ve been working here. I’m in the office in the ‘war room’ already. It’s a busy week. At this point we have to listen to opportunities to improve the ball club for the future and still try to win ball games now.”
Asked by Matzek how many teams have contacted him about Greinke, Melvin said, “There’s a lot of teams that make contact. You try to narrow the list down in that regard. You take the serious ones.
Tom Haudricourt reports that the Rangers, Angels, Braves and White Sox are all in on Greinke.
Maybe I’m just being insecure, but I have this fear that the Braves are thinking about giving up a way-too-big-package for Greinke. So, please, Rangers or someone, overpay.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)