Jul 26, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Not exactly shocking and not exactly a secret, but given how cagey general managers tend to be about players they’re trading, this is notable:
“We’re taking phone calls,” Melvin told WTMJ’s Greg Matzek. “We’ve been working here. I’m in the office in the ‘war room’ already. It’s a busy week. At this point we have to listen to opportunities to improve the ball club for the future and still try to win ball games now.”
Asked by Matzek how many teams have contacted him about Greinke, Melvin said, “There’s a lot of teams that make contact. You try to narrow the list down in that regard. You take the serious ones.
Tom Haudricourt reports that the Rangers, Angels, Braves and White Sox are all in on Greinke.
Maybe I’m just being insecure, but I have this fear that the Braves are thinking about giving up a way-too-big-package for Greinke. So, please, Rangers or someone, overpay.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)