Jul 26, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Not exactly shocking and not exactly a secret, but given how cagey general managers tend to be about players they’re trading, this is notable:
“We’re taking phone calls,” Melvin told WTMJ’s Greg Matzek. “We’ve been working here. I’m in the office in the ‘war room’ already. It’s a busy week. At this point we have to listen to opportunities to improve the ball club for the future and still try to win ball games now.”
Asked by Matzek how many teams have contacted him about Greinke, Melvin said, “There’s a lot of teams that make contact. You try to narrow the list down in that regard. You take the serious ones.
Tom Haudricourt reports that the Rangers, Angels, Braves and White Sox are all in on Greinke.
Maybe I’m just being insecure, but I have this fear that the Braves are thinking about giving up a way-too-big-package for Greinke. So, please, Rangers or someone, overpay.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)