The Red Sox are “fielding inquiries” about Josh Beckett

Jul 26, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

Josh Beckett

In terms of vagueness and TransactionSpeak, this from Rob Bradford of WEEI may be the most trade deadline story I’ve seen in a while:

According to a major league source, while the Red Sox have fielded some exploratory inquiries on right-hander Josh Beckett, such calls to this point have been little more than exercises in kicking the tires.

This reminds me of a Firesign Theatre line. Like “There was something fishy about the butler. I think he was a Pisces, probably working for scale.” It just kinda rolls, says nothing and ultimately makes me laugh.

1. bloodysock - Jul 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

“Fielding some exploratory inquiries’ for a guy who has 10/5 rights? Beckett isn’t going anywhere (literally and figuratively).

• 18thstreet - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

In honor of Beckett’s deliberate pace on the mound, the Red Sox are taking some extra time to return each of the inquiries they receive.

• djpostl - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM

As much as local media has annoyed the shit out of him last couple of years are you so sure of that?

• ras1tafari - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Agreed. I think he hates it here now.

2. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Let’s hope Mike Aviles isn’t the one doing the fielding.

3. mybrunoblog - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Teams agreeing to terms with the R Sox and Beckett will be contractually obligated to provide Copious amounts of
    pre, during, and post game chicken n beers. In addition, members of the media will be expected to refrain from all questions involving Becketts bad back and his golf game.

• ras1tafari - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

get some original material. LAME

• jimeejohnson - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM

A Texan, Beckett prefers good old barbeque and that cheap, light beer. Less filling.

• 18thstreet - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM

What’s this about chicken and beer? I don’t get it. Could someone explain this joke, which I’ve never heard before?

Now, back to living under a rock.

4. cupofjoe1962 - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Beckett would be a good fit with the rangers.

They have a great SS prospect in Juricksom Profar…. I would give Beckett
    & Mark Belanger clone Jose Iglesias
    ( great glove – poor bat ) for Profar.

Beckett is a Texas native & he has pitched well in that hitters park during his
    Career.

The Rangers need starting pitching & you
    Only get so many tries at a championship
    With the same set of players (Hamilton, Beltre, Cruz, Napoli, ect).

• jimeejohnson - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM

The BBQ is certainly better deep in the heart of Texas. Beckett might just respond to that better BBQ, plus, he’d still be in the American League, not have to hit, and be able to bean guys with impunity. One thing’s fer sure: Texas has some cheap beer (good beer too).

5. xpensivewinos - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Rangers maybe? Red Sox would still have to pay a ton of his salary.

Unfortunately, the Sox are stuck with Becket and Lester and Crawford for the foreseeable future.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM

It’s fortunate for the rest of baseball, however.

6. MTLighthouse69 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM

IMO, Beckett isn’t worth squat. No team in their right mind is going to trade for a guy that makes that much money and at the same time has performed so poorly.

At best, the Red Sox can hope to get for Beckett is a mid level prospect, assuming that the Red Sox eat the vast majority of Beckett’s salary. I am not convinced that the Red Sox would even get that for Beckett.

7. 13yrsmlbvet - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM

He would absolutely accept a trade. Guarantee it.

8. surefooted1 - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM

As a Yankee fan, I’m sad to see the Red Sox in their current state of affairs. I really hope Beckett isn’t traded. Ortiz isn’t long until retirement, Youk is gone…sigh. Hard to hate on Will Middlebrooks when he has no history against the Yankees.

I hope they go on a nice run to make September interesting. Here’s a beer to all of the REd Sox fans (One time offer lol).

• turdfurgerson68 - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Don’t need any sympathy from a Yankee fan…shove off, Wanker.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Speak fer yerself. I’ll take a beer.

• turdfurgerson68 - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Sure but do you wanna spend multi millions for that beer (and it’ll be a lillibridge kinda brew)

Think about it NO team will make a straight up deal to get him…sox will need to eat millions. No thanks.

9. frobaggins - Jul 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM

i’d take a couple slices at papa gino’s for him

10. turdfurgerson68 - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Unless Cherington agrees to pay for at least 75% of his remaining contract, he’s not going anywhere.

11. jimeejohnson - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Who expected Lackey, Beckett, Lester, and Matsuzaka to implode? Could be the curse. Boston has high achieving teams in all the other major sports, so when the Red Sox don’t compete for a pennant, everybody freaks. Still, the way the team folded last September, losing out on the playoffs in the 9th inning of their final game with their closer, the “Papbelbum”, on the mound, and the rest is choker history! Carl Crawford has been the biggest bust of them all. Who would have guessed it?

• 18thstreet - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I don’t believe in no fucking curses. Wake up the damn Bambino. Maybe I’ll drill him in the ass.

Sincerely,
      Pedro Martinez

• 18thstreet - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Let me be clear: the Red Sox were cursed, for 80 years by a toxic brew of racism and stupidity. When the Yawkeys died, it was only a matter of time until they won the World Series, which was exactly what happened.

Anyone who blames the 86-year drought on anything mystical wasn’t paying attention.

• bw1980 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Who expected it? Well I expect Beckett to be about a .500 pitcher, a third or fourth starter. He is, however, a top of the line bitcher.

Matsuzaka has been a nibbler since he stepped foot on American soil–his 18 win season was an abberation in which he average about 5 and 2/3 innings per start. When the bullpen pitches 3 and 1/3 innings in every one of your victories it loses a little luster.

Lackey was a bad contract, a desperation move to make the fans think the Sox were trying to do something–he was signed after Epstein proclaimed the team needed a few bridge years. Wrong fan base….he’s got the right one for that now. Hell, he can have a bridge decade in Chicago.

Lester I didn’t see coming. I’ve thought that Lester was a solid number two/borderline number one starter his whole career. I tend to believe that this year has been a mirage but then who knows how Beckett has influenced both he and Buchholz.

Crawford was a signing that a lot people questioned: too much money, too many years. I confess I wasn’t one of those people so I can’t say that I this coming but plenty of people did.

12. bw1980 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I wonder if Beckett hates Boston as much as Boston hates him. He is beyond a doubt one of the most selfish, self serving and over-rated athletes in recent memory.

I’m bewildered everytime I tune into NESN or MLB Tonight or Baseball Tonight and the panels of the respective shows are always saying “Boston needs more from their ace, their stopper.”. They’ve said this about him in roughly 75% of his starts every season since he’s been in Boston excepting 2007 and 2009. The ass has been in Boston for five full seasons and is little over halfway through his sixth….and he’s had two good years. At what point is the guy not an ace?

I never thought he was but he’s gone out of his way to prove it: That gut hangs over another inch every year. His back is hurt. He has blisters. He has a strained oblique.

• bozosforall - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Typical whiny ass Boston “fan”. Selfish, self-serving and overrated would better describe both the populace and area of New England.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5369)