Jul 26, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Yeah it’s dead and gone, but until I am too I will always lament the passing of the late great Tiger Stadium. Allow me this one irrational fixation. If you do, I’ll consider giving up all of my other irrational fixations. Anyway:
Almost 13 years after the Detroit Tigers played their last game at their historic playing field at Michigan and Trumbull, a new concept has emerged for reusing the old Tiger Stadium site.
Three sources familiar with the idea say the City of Detroit is talking with the Parade Company, the non-profit organization that runs the city’s Thanksgiving Day parade and other special events, to buy the site and build its new headquarters, warehouse, and operations center there.
I would say something like “well, it’s better than an empty field,” but that’s not true because what has gone on at that empty field since the bad guys tore down Tiger Stadium has been pretty special. Not that that sort of thing is sustainable. Other ideas for the site would have been, though. They’ve been shot down, sadly.
Eventually that land will be used for something. It may be this. It may be something else. And when it does, Tiger Stadium will be that much closer to fading from our collective memory.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 8
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 3
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)