Jul 26, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Yeah it’s dead and gone, but until I am too I will always lament the passing of the late great Tiger Stadium. Allow me this one irrational fixation. If you do, I’ll consider giving up all of my other irrational fixations. Anyway:
Almost 13 years after the Detroit Tigers played their last game at their historic playing field at Michigan and Trumbull, a new concept has emerged for reusing the old Tiger Stadium site.
Three sources familiar with the idea say the City of Detroit is talking with the Parade Company, the non-profit organization that runs the city’s Thanksgiving Day parade and other special events, to buy the site and build its new headquarters, warehouse, and operations center there.
I would say something like “well, it’s better than an empty field,” but that’s not true because what has gone on at that empty field since the bad guys tore down Tiger Stadium has been pretty special. Not that that sort of thing is sustainable. Other ideas for the site would have been, though. They’ve been shot down, sadly.
Eventually that land will be used for something. It may be this. It may be something else. And when it does, Tiger Stadium will be that much closer to fading from our collective memory.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)