Jul 26, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Yeah it’s dead and gone, but until I am too I will always lament the passing of the late great Tiger Stadium. Allow me this one irrational fixation. If you do, I’ll consider giving up all of my other irrational fixations. Anyway:
Almost 13 years after the Detroit Tigers played their last game at their historic playing field at Michigan and Trumbull, a new concept has emerged for reusing the old Tiger Stadium site.
Three sources familiar with the idea say the City of Detroit is talking with the Parade Company, the non-profit organization that runs the city’s Thanksgiving Day parade and other special events, to buy the site and build its new headquarters, warehouse, and operations center there.
I would say something like “well, it’s better than an empty field,” but that’s not true because what has gone on at that empty field since the bad guys tore down Tiger Stadium has been pretty special. Not that that sort of thing is sustainable. Other ideas for the site would have been, though. They’ve been shot down, sadly.
Eventually that land will be used for something. It may be this. It may be something else. And when it does, Tiger Stadium will be that much closer to fading from our collective memory.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)