Jul 26, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
That means Milwaukee has decided to stick with Martin Maldonado as Lucroy’s new backup, but it’s unlikely that they’d be willing to simply let Kottaras go for nothing via waivers. Instead, expect the Brewers to trade him before Tuesday’s deadline, in which case designating him for assignment simply removes Kottaras from the 40-man roster in the meantime.
Officially they have 10 days to trade, waive, or release Kottaras, but since the trade deadline is only five days away the DFA likely won’t impact anything.
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 5
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)