Jul 26, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
That means Milwaukee has decided to stick with Martin Maldonado as Lucroy’s new backup, but it’s unlikely that they’d be willing to simply let Kottaras go for nothing via waivers. Instead, expect the Brewers to trade him before Tuesday’s deadline, in which case designating him for assignment simply removes Kottaras from the 40-man roster in the meantime.
Officially they have 10 days to trade, waive, or release Kottaras, but since the trade deadline is only five days away the DFA likely won’t impact anything.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 9
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (82)