Jul 26, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
That means Milwaukee has decided to stick with Martin Maldonado as Lucroy’s new backup, but it’s unlikely that they’d be willing to simply let Kottaras go for nothing via waivers. Instead, expect the Brewers to trade him before Tuesday’s deadline, in which case designating him for assignment simply removes Kottaras from the 40-man roster in the meantime.
Officially they have 10 days to trade, waive, or release Kottaras, but since the trade deadline is only five days away the DFA likely won’t impact anything.
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- Two thoughts about the elimination of home plate collisions (95)