Jul 26, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Arizona demoted top prospect Trevor Bauer to Triple-A last week after he struggled to consistently throw strikes in his first taste of the majors and now the No. 3 overall pick in the 2011 draft will take some time off in the minors.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Bauer will take at least 10 days off before starting at Triple-A and the Diamondbacks are leaving the door open for even more downtime.
Farm director Mike Bell stressed to Piecoro that it’s a normal thing the organization does with pitchers in their first full pro seasons, but also noted that Bauer specifically “could use a little break.”
Bauer blamed a season-long groin injury on some of his big-league struggles and between the majors and minors he’s already thrown 114 innings, so being cautious with the 21-year-old’s workload makes sense.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 9
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 105
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 98
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (107)