Jul 26, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
Arizona demoted top prospect Trevor Bauer to Triple-A last week after he struggled to consistently throw strikes in his first taste of the majors and now the No. 3 overall pick in the 2011 draft will take some time off in the minors.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Bauer will take at least 10 days off before starting at Triple-A and the Diamondbacks are leaving the door open for even more downtime.
Farm director Mike Bell stressed to Piecoro that it’s a normal thing the organization does with pitchers in their first full pro seasons, but also noted that Bauer specifically “could use a little break.”
Bauer blamed a season-long groin injury on some of his big-league struggles and between the majors and minors he’s already thrown 114 innings, so being cautious with the 21-year-old’s workload makes sense.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 31
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)