Jul 26, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Arizona demoted top prospect Trevor Bauer to Triple-A last week after he struggled to consistently throw strikes in his first taste of the majors and now the No. 3 overall pick in the 2011 draft will take some time off in the minors.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Bauer will take at least 10 days off before starting at Triple-A and the Diamondbacks are leaving the door open for even more downtime.
Farm director Mike Bell stressed to Piecoro that it’s a normal thing the organization does with pitchers in their first full pro seasons, but also noted that Bauer specifically “could use a little break.”
Bauer blamed a season-long groin injury on some of his big-league struggles and between the majors and minors he’s already thrown 114 innings, so being cautious with the 21-year-old’s workload makes sense.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 0
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 14
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 14
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)