Tweet of the Day: Do NOT breastfeed in front of Logan Morrison

Jul 26, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Logan Morrison was just chillin’ at Nordstrom today when he encountered something he was not pleased with:

Those damn moms,providing essential nourishment for their children. Just appalling, really. The worst kind of people.

Because he’s awesome, Jay Jaffe called Morrison out for being boorish and retrograde about public breastfeeding. Which led to this response:

So apparently you gotta play in the bigs before you can all a guy out for being a jackwagon on the internet. Who knew?

Look, baseball players: I’ll make it easy for you. That “you’ve never played the game” thing may have validity to it when it’s in response to a writer saying stuff about how to play baseball.

Your exalted status as professional athletes does not provide you any claim to the high ground, however, when you’re out in the world, commenting ignorantly about everyday human events.  In that arena we are all equal.

133 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. ratflop - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Logan Morrison’s Twitter career just jumped the shark.

2. Andee - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

He said he was batting .240 without power, I think that is absolutely about how he plays baseball, no?

• woodenulykteneau - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Craig means technique, not results, yes?

• 5thbase - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

If I was chipper I would throw a #dumbass on LoMo for daring to express an opinion w/o mammo yickitties on any kind of regular basis.

• hittfamily - Jul 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM

he was talking about mammos. mammo ries.

3. bjbeliever - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

must have been bottle fed

4. Andee - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

It might be true, but Jaffe didn’t say anything about breastfeeding.

5. scottj27 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM

The guy makes 1000 good jokes and one that wasn’t thought out so well gets him blasted (not to mention his following clarification/apology)?

I liked his “mustache” comeback better anyway.

• thefalcon123 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM

There are bad jokes, then there’s being an extreme douchebag…like getting angry at women for breastfeeding.

6. thefalcon123 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:38 PM

“Jay Jaffe? Another blogger who has never played baseball w a big mouth. Shocker! RT @jay_jaffe shut up and hit .240 without power LoMo

— Logan Morrison (@LoMoMarlins) July 26, 2012″

Jokes on Jaffe! Morrison is hit .234

7. dianagram - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM

LoMo with men in scoring position this year: .165. With women in scoring position … even lower.

• djpostl - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM

“Like” to infinity & beyond!!

8. ss - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I think we should use this moment not to denigrate breastfeeding, but to promote use of the word “jackwagon.”

Great work, Craig. Fighting the good fight.

9. scottj27 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Also, after reading Jaffe tweet “hey @LoMoMarlins, the stuff that comes out of my big mouth is just as valid as what comes out of yours, and I’m not an asshole”, I looked through his twitter feed and he actually is kind of an asshole. Not sure he’s a shining example here.

• drewsylvania - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Exactly. I even pointed it out to him–he had no idea what I was talking about.

10. Sign Ahead - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Morrison wasn’t just commenting ignorantly about everyday human events. He was snapping pictures of breast-feeding mothers and posting them on the internet. That’s really creepy. I suspect the mockery is just beginning for poor Mr. Morrison.

11. thevauntedchris - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I have no problem with Morrison not liking boobs. Now, I also have no problem with Jay Jaffe disagreeing and making a great comeback about how bad Morrison is sucking. He was even nice with adding a few BA points. The problem is that Morrison is too sensitive. They can dish it but they can’t take it.

Hey professional baseball players, the sad truth is that you are usually terrible at analyzing baseball. You can run fast, catch balls, and have amazing hand eye coordination. Stick to what you are good at. No one needs to play professional baseball to know Morrison’s numbers aren’t good. Jaffe didn’t say he could do better. He’s not being paid by the Marlins.

• fearlessleader - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Thing is, I’m betting LoMo likes boobs just fine. He just doesn’t like them when they’re being used to sustain a young human life rather than to make him feel all warm in his private places, and that’s what brands him as a sexist boor.

• geoknows - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM

In other words, being used for what they were designed for.

12. Stiller43 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Who wants to see that? I agree with “lomo”

• jeffrp - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Unless this: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1yqhuL3IA1qdb9v0.jpg is you, I recommend looking the other way.

• The Common Man - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Seriously, how hard is it just to not look? If you can’t stop staring at a woman breastfeeding, you’re a creep.

• drewsylvania - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

There are lots of things that we don’t want to see. Doesn’t mean that you should lower yourself and be insulting over it like Morrison is doing.

13. Stiller43 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Although taking a picture and tweeting probably wasnt the best idea…

14. sportsdrenched.com - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Let’s look at it from Nordstroms perspective. Amount of money that a social media enraged army of nursing mothers (and maybe former nursing mothers) might spend in our store is greater than the amount of money Logan Morrison and others that think like him might spend in our store.

15. ravensfanincali - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM

And then you’ll be the same guy who will complain when players give scripted “coach-speak” and don’t express their true opinions. And to be honest, there is a right way to breast feed in public and a wrong way. From the photo, it seems like they’re being pretty brazen about it without any semblance of an effort to conceal it. Slow news day?

• The Common Man - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Why should they need to “conceal it?” The nipple is in the baby’s mouth. And if seeing women feed their children makes Morrison uncomfortable, that says a hell of a lot more about him that it does about the mothers in question.

• 18thstreet - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM

There is literally nothing more natural than a mother breastfeeding her baby. And, make no mistake, the law is on the side of justice here, and on the side of science. Breastfeeding is best for mother, baby, and society. It’s not always an option for a lot of reasons. But there’s no reason to say someone feeding their baby is being brazen about it.

Breasts exist to feed babies. I’m a big fan of their auxiliary features, but that’s not what they exist.

• ftbramwell - Jul 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Anuses exist to pass feces. There is nothing more natural then defecating. That’s what anuses are for — for passing waste out of my body. It’s just that when I need to defecate, I find a private (and sanitary) location to do my business.

The law is on the side of the mother — that’s true — and she can breastfeed anywhere she wants. But just because we have a legal right, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t exercise some good judgment. (See the cop who picked on Carl Crawford.) Like Mr. Morgan, I also would be turned off from a store if a customer whipped out her breast and decided to feed her child. Find a more private place to meet your biological needs; or if you have to feed your baby right then and there, at least have the common courtesy to cover up!

And, yes, I’m a fairly liberal guy.

• The Common Man - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM

She was covered up, dummy, unless the baby was transparent. And if you can’t understand the difference between pooping and feeding an infant, I hope you don’t get confused some day when you have kids. There’s nothing unsanitary or sexual about a woman breastfeeding.

• American of African Descent - Jul 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Dummy: look at the picture. I see no blanket. She was not covered up.

• The Common Man - Jul 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM

No, she wasn’t covered. Except, you know, by the baby. Which was covering her breast because she was breastfeeding. Or do you think Logan Morrison has the magic power to see through babies?

16. yankees177 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:48 PM

No wonder Derek Jeter didnt recognize him in that video! Hes a nobody who has a nickname. DJ might have recognized you if your nickname wasn’t bigger than your accomplishments (with that said im not really sure how good LoMo is, though I have heard of him through his nickname so I am just assuming hes not all that good)

17. js20011041 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Can Logan Morrison legitimately make a comment about Jaffe not being an athlete? He’s known far more for being on twitter than for anything he’s ever done on a baseball field.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM

As I read this post I realized I follow Logan Morrison on twitter and I’m not sure why. Other than other MLB fans follow him on twitter. I can’t remember the last time he tweated something that interested me.

Guess It’s time for a “Following Clean-up”

18. blabidibla - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM

To be fair, he never said he didn’t like it. Sarcasm font needed for twitter.

19. frenchysplatediscipline - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Is Morrison a douche? Yes. Telling the people that cover the sport and fans that they don’t know what they are talking about because they haven’t played pro-ball is just one step below the “Don’t you know who I am?” line that certain famous people drop when being arrested.

However, Jaffe didn’t call him out on being boorish. He referenced his hitting as a retort rather than just call him out for being a dipshit. Morrison is just responding to the random jab in the only way most meathead jocks know how.

20. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Apparently, Logan has never sucked a tit before.

• Old Gator - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM

He’s never sucked a mantis either. Odd pair of aversions, eh?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

• Jonny 5 - Jul 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Yes, you can buy a shirt with that on it.

21. hansob - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Anyone else find it ironic that he’s calling out a guy for commenting about how well he does or doesn’t do something while not doing it himself, while at the same time, commenting about something that I’m reasonably sure he has little experience with?

22. Brian Donohue - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I recall reading a blog post by a woman who’d been confronted by another passenger during an airline flight over the same issue. Her response had been addressed to the entire plane: “would you rather have me breastfeed or would you prefer to listen to the baby scream for the next hour?” Suddenly, no one was offended anymore.

So this is more than a story about a dickweed jock; it’s a call for an entire culture to just grow up.

23. 18thstreet - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Morrison’s right: breasts exist for men to ogle. There’s something incredibly unnatural about watching a baby use them for nourishment.

That’s just science.

Babies should eat in the privacy of public bathrooms, like I do.

24. xmatt0926x - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I loved the Jeter video. Watching this absolute loser Lomo and his embarassment at not being recognized by Jeter was classic. I’m not a Yankees fan or a Jeter fanboy but it also showed the quality character that Jeter has in the fact that he had no problem shaking the hand of what he felt must have been just another fan yelling his name out. Jeter could have easily just smirked and kept walking but he stopped long enough to shake this clowns hand. Logan Morrrison said a couple seasons back that he uses social media so much because he wants to expand his “brand”. Who the f*** cares about the brand of a slightly better than average at best outfielder for the Marlins? Christ, this guy makes Kim Kardashian seem like a sincere humanitarian by comparison.

25. blabidibla - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Logan Morrison ‏@LoMoMarlins
    @HardballTalk Craig saw ur post. He attacked my BA & lack of power. I guess I’m the last to know that hitting MLB pitching is easy…

• thevauntedchris - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM

if this is real..and i have no idea if it is cause I don’t really understand all the @blah blah@you@me@deeznuts……this might be why he sucks. Spend less time cruising the internet for your name and get in the cage/watch some tape. Wow.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act