Jul 26, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Wandy Rodriguez will make his Pirates debut Saturday and adding to the drama is that he’ll be facing his former Astros teammates, in Houston.
Rodriguez’s arrival caused the Pirates to bump someone from the rotation and Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that Kevin Correia has been demoted to the bullpen despite being a pretty decent starter since joining the team last year.
He has a 4.56 ERA in 45 total starts during that time, including a 4.24 mark this year, although
with offense being down across MLB that’s actually quite a bit worse than it initially appears. In fact, the NL average ERA for starters this year is 3.99.
There’s also been some speculation that the Pirates are looking to trade Correia to a team that could use him as a fourth or fifth starter, so he may not be long for the bullpen anyway.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 10
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 73
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)