Jul 26, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez will make his Pirates debut Saturday and adding to the drama is that he’ll be facing his former Astros teammates, in Houston.
Rodriguez’s arrival caused the Pirates to bump someone from the rotation and Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that Kevin Correia has been demoted to the bullpen despite being a pretty decent starter since joining the team last year.
He has a 4.56 ERA in 45 total starts during that time, including a 4.24 mark this year, although
with offense being down across MLB that’s actually quite a bit worse than it initially appears. In fact, the NL average ERA for starters this year is 3.99.
There’s also been some speculation that the Pirates are looking to trade Correia to a team that could use him as a fourth or fifth starter, so he may not be long for the bullpen anyway.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 5
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 35
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 89
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)