Jul 27, 2012, 6:07 AM EST
Blue Jays 10, Athletics 4: Backatcha, Athletics. A night after the A’s slammed the Jays, Edwin Encarnacion hit a three-run homer to lead the charge for Toronto, ending the A’s seven game winning streak. This came after the A’s took a 3-0 lead, so nice moxie by the Blue Jays there.
Mets 3, Diamondbacks 1: Matt Harvey’s debut went swimmingly: 5 1/3 scoreless innings and 11 strikeouts for the Mets 2010 first round pick. He also had a double and a single.
Indians 5, Tigers 3: Justin Verlander was cruising along nicely until he hit the seventh inning and the Indians hit him. Carlos Santana and Travis Hafner homered off the reigning MVPYOUNG Award winner to lead of the seventh and the Tribe posted four runs in that inning to put ‘em over.
Cardinals 7, Dodgers 4: The Cardinals rattled off 18 hits, three each coming from David Freese and Matt Carpenter. It would be rather delicious if the Dodgers’ trade for Hanley Ramirez coincided with them skidding out of the race.
Orioles 6, Rays 2: Anyone who knows what happened to James Shields this year, please contact the Tampa Bay Rays. Shields struck out ten in six innings — that’s good! — but he also allowed five runs on six hits while walking five — that’s bad! Chris Davis homered and drove in four. That’s good! But the hot dogs at Camden Yards contained contain potassium benzoate ……… That’s bad.
Pirates 5, Astros 3: A.J. Burnett just keeps on humming along. He allowed two runs in seven and a third and won his 12th game of the year. Of course, this coming against the Astros, I suppose the curve they’re graded on means that those two runs should count as five or six.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)