Jul 27, 2012, 7:42 PM EDT
UPDATE: Morosi confirms that it’s Greinke for Segura, Hellweg and Pena.
By the way, Segura, Hellweg and Pena were ranked as Angels’ second, fourth and ninth best prospects by Baseball America coming into the season.
7:38 PM Nothing official yet, but Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register writes that prospect right-handers Ariel Pena and Johnny Hellweg are most likely being sent to Milwaukee along with Jean Segura. If so, that’s a pretty nice haul for a two-month rental who can’t be offered arbitration.
7:24 PM ET: Things just got very interesting in the American League West.
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Angels have acquired right-hander Zack Greinke from the Brewers.
The Brewers are getting prospect shortstop Jean Segura and two Double-A pitchers in return. Rosenthal writes that the deal is done, but the “finishing touches” are still being applied.
Greinke, an impending free agent, wraps up his tenure with the Brewers with a 3.67 ERA in 49 starts over two seasons. The Brewers recently offered him a contract extension, reportedly in the range of five years and $100 million, but the two sides weren’t able to make progress on an agreement.
With Greinke, Jered Weaver and C.J. Wilson as their big three, it’s safe to say the Angels could go toe-to-toe with anyone if they make the playoffs. They could be even more dangerous if Dan Haren and Ervin Santana get back on track.
The AL West-leading Rangers might have had a bigger need for the starter than the Angels did, so it will be interesting to see whether they intensify their efforts to land Josh Johnson from the Marlins or possibly James Shields from the Rays.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)