Jul 27, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Armando Galarraga has struggled since forever being linked with umpire Jim Joyce during his “imperfect game” on June 2, 2010, spending most of last season and all of this season at Triple-A.
But now he’s headed back to the big leagues, as the Astros announced that they’ll call up Galarraga to start Saturday against the Pirates. He’s stepping into Wandy Rodriguez‘s rotation spot and in an odd little twist of fate he’ll be facing Rodriguez, in Houston.
Galarraga last started in the majors for the Diamondbacks on May 16, 2011 and had a 4.12 ERA and 31/18 K/BB ratio in 44 innings at Triple-A before the call-up, so this is more about the Astros’ lack of MLB-caliber pitching depth than any kind of promising comeback story.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)