Jul 27, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Armando Galarraga has struggled since forever being linked with umpire Jim Joyce during his “imperfect game” on June 2, 2010, spending most of last season and all of this season at Triple-A.
But now he’s headed back to the big leagues, as the Astros announced that they’ll call up Galarraga to start Saturday against the Pirates. He’s stepping into Wandy Rodriguez‘s rotation spot and in an odd little twist of fate he’ll be facing Rodriguez, in Houston.
Galarraga last started in the majors for the Diamondbacks on May 16, 2011 and had a 4.12 ERA and 31/18 K/BB ratio in 44 innings at Triple-A before the call-up, so this is more about the Astros’ lack of MLB-caliber pitching depth than any kind of promising comeback story.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 26
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)