Jul 27, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Ill will in Chicago? Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that (a) the Ryan Dempster to Los Angeles trade is at a stalemate; and (b) Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer are not likely to take less than what they feel is fair value for the guy. So, if the Dodgers — who, according to Kaplan, believe that the Cubs have lost their leverage — don’t pony up, it’s all going to be on Dempster:
“Dempster will have to answer some tough questions if he is still a Cub after the deadline,” one executive told me. “That will be one press conference I would want to see. He will have to explain to the fans why he chose to stay on a team that is going nowhere when he could have been in Atlanta and possibly pitching in the playoffs. That will be interesting to hear.”
I have poked fun at Dempster throughout all of this, but I do agree that he does not owe it to the Cubs to see that they get the best absolute haul for him in a trade. That’s their job, not his.
But it’s inescapable that the whole aborted trade to the Braves thing has killed the Cubs’ leverage here. So from where I sit, it will be more interesting to hear why, exactly, that trade to Atlanta breaking down went public than it will be to hear anything else. Because depending on that answer, Dempster may or may not be the one who has to sit uncomfortably in a post-deadline presser answering questions.
If Dempster did flip flop on his desire to go to Atlanta, he’ll deserve some heat. If, however, the Cubs went forward with the Braves to the point where the deal got leaked without a strong indication that Dempster would be cool with it first, it’s the club’s fault that their leverage got torpedoed.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 20
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 217
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (217)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)