Jul 27, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
Scott Elbert has been a very effective situational left-hander in the Dodgers’ bullpen since last season, but the 26-year-old former top prospect is headed to the disabled list with shoulder soreness.
Injuries contributed to Elbert shifting from starting to relieving as a prospect, so the shoulder problems are worrisome. Since the beginning of last season he’s thrown 63 innings with a 2.44 ERA and 62/27 K/BB ratio while getting an average of just 2.1 outs per appearances.
To take Elbert’s place on the active roster the Dodgers called up Stephen Fife, who debuted 10 days ago and is back again to start tonight against the Giants.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12