Jul 27, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
The Rockies did a good thing:
After playing a game in Phoenix on Wednesday night, the Rockies arrived in Denver at about 3 a.m. Thursday. On the message board inside the clubhouse, a notice was posted asking for volunteers to meet with victims at the hospital.
Jim Tracy and 11 players showed up to visit the victims of last week’s Aurora shooting: Todd Helton, Michael Cuddyer, Eric Young Jr., Matt Belisle, Josh Roenicke,Christian Friedrich, Jordan Pacheco, Josh Rutledge, Rex Brothers, Drew Pomeranz, Adam Ottavino and Mike Ekstrom.
Tracy said that it would have been a bigger group but that since they were visiting the intensive care unit they had to limit their numbers.
Check out the story. Lots of good quotes from the players putting things in perspective.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)