Jul 27, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
The Rockies did a good thing:
After playing a game in Phoenix on Wednesday night, the Rockies arrived in Denver at about 3 a.m. Thursday. On the message board inside the clubhouse, a notice was posted asking for volunteers to meet with victims at the hospital.
Jim Tracy and 11 players showed up to visit the victims of last week’s Aurora shooting: Todd Helton, Michael Cuddyer, Eric Young Jr., Matt Belisle, Josh Roenicke,Christian Friedrich, Jordan Pacheco, Josh Rutledge, Rex Brothers, Drew Pomeranz, Adam Ottavino and Mike Ekstrom.
Tracy said that it would have been a bigger group but that since they were visiting the intensive care unit they had to limit their numbers.
Check out the story. Lots of good quotes from the players putting things in perspective.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 77
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47