Jul 27, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
The Rockies did a good thing:
After playing a game in Phoenix on Wednesday night, the Rockies arrived in Denver at about 3 a.m. Thursday. On the message board inside the clubhouse, a notice was posted asking for volunteers to meet with victims at the hospital.
Jim Tracy and 11 players showed up to visit the victims of last week’s Aurora shooting: Todd Helton, Michael Cuddyer, Eric Young Jr., Matt Belisle, Josh Roenicke,Christian Friedrich, Jordan Pacheco, Josh Rutledge, Rex Brothers, Drew Pomeranz, Adam Ottavino and Mike Ekstrom.
Tracy said that it would have been a bigger group but that since they were visiting the intensive care unit they had to limit their numbers.
Check out the story. Lots of good quotes from the players putting things in perspective.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 0
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)