John Axford compares Tim Tebow to Kim Kardashian, inevitable backlash ensues

Jul 27, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

source: Getty Images

Brewers reliever John Axford, having no doubt witnessed the incredible media attention paid to Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow simply arriving at training camp, sent out this tweet:

Not surprisingly Axford got some flak from what must be an absolutely amazing social intersection of Tim Tebow fans and Kim Kardashian fans, at which point he tweeted:

It’s never a great sign when you need four follow-up posts to explain your initial post, but Axford basically just made a variation of the same joke everyone makes about the Kardashians and based on his past tweeting he seems like a nice, funny, smart guy. Also, if what Axford said about their respective talent levels is true perhaps Tebow should try throwing with his pinky finger.

To compliment him on heroic acts of journalism such as this post, follow @AaronGleeman on Twitter.

1. urdoingitwrongreds - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

what does Tebow think about Lomo and breastfeeding in Nordstroms?

• b7p19 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Love it, somebody find Peter King.

• paperlions - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

You want Peter King to breast feed a baby in Nordstroms?

• b7p19 - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I’ve never thrown up while laughing before, so that was new…

2. redguy12588 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I like Axford, Tebow fanboys are like the plague. I like Tebow, but I hate his followers.

• vansloot - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Do Tebow fanboys cause your lymph nodes to become swollen and painful and kills you in 3-5 days?

• b7p19 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Lymph nodes are a myth, surprised you didn’t know that.

3. Sign Ahead - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

There are three names that I never thought I’d see in the same story. Thank you, Mr. Axford for making my next game of “Six Degrees of Separation” a little easier.

4. darthicarus - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I think the story about Michael Morse & babypowdering people on the toilet was a much better use of your journalistic skills.

5. cur68 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Did any of his twits invite only those who’ve “Played The Game” to offer their opinion? if not, then meh. Ax is perfectly entitled to his opinion of Tebow, Kardashian and their whole circus.

6. bigleagues - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Honestly, I’m pretty sure the Ax-man and I would be ‘boyz’!

Which makes that restraining order he slapped on me all the more frustrating!

• Bryz - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I read “boyz” as “bryz” and I was momentarily shocked and excited.

Everyone, carry on with your normal routines.

7. Jonny 5 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

So Tebow has a nice rack? Has the behind of a Thoroughbred?

8. vallewho - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Axford just made a new fan out of me.

• leerosenthall - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Me too. If only because he knows how to use a comma and the difference between “you’re” and “your.”

9. number42is1 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM

$1000 says that Tebow doesnt have a sex video out there.

10. deathmonkey41 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Has he ever watched Tebow play QB in the NFL? I’m not really sure how much more talented Timmy Boy is than the old plastic sex-tape queen. Also, Kim doesn’t have the whole, “I’m hiding in the closet because my religion would disown me if I ever come out” thing going on.

11. karaterobot - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM

words words words

BOOOOOOOBS!!!

words words words words words words words

12. rcali - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Not sure any baseball player should be calling out a football player, of course unless that football player is a kicker. Especially a dude who pitches 50-60 innings a year and isn’t that good in those outings.

• shaggytoodle - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM

You must only be looking at his recent work Axford had the fourth longest save streak in history. You can say he has been inconsistant as of late, but you can’t claim he isn’t good.

He is also spot on about Tebow and the coverage on the E! SPN channels

13. mybrunoblog - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Please God. Make twitter just go away………

14. thatyankeedude - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Just like axford is entitled to his opinion of tebow tebows followers r entitled to an opinion of him so anybody complaining about either one of these guys has the right to express themselves. I don’t have a real opinion on it but I’m really tired of one side telling there story and then the other side being told they r being completely intolerant of the opposing side for having a difference of opinion

• b7p19 - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Hey, I’m entitled to my opinion, so why don’t you just go back to your mom’s basement and let me express it without being persecuted by the likes of you.

15. azvikefan - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I don’t tweet, twat or twit but I wish someone would just come out and start calling them the Kardouchians. I’m waiting tweeters, twaters and twitters.

16. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I read that Axford is saying Tim Tebow is very popular, Kim Kardashian is also very popular and she didn’t do anything to earn that popularity…

Axford’s analogy was dead on. Tebow fans get soooo weirdly defensive because they cannot handle the truth about his abilities in the NFL.

17. sportsdrenched.com - Jul 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Common Ax-Man, if you honestly didn’t care about the response to your tweets. Then don’t continue responding.

…and I agree with him

…and I haven’t watched ESPN in a coons age.

18. muskyhunter2542 - Jul 27, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Love it!!!!

19. yahmule - Jul 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM

This is a great thread. Axford’s tweet was hilarious and some of these comments are cracking me up.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2965)