Jul 27, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
With the Red Sox shaping up as long shots in the AL East, the team is reportedly fielding inquiries on Josh Beckett, despite his no-trade protection. Beckett, though, told WEEI.com he wants to stay in Boston, assuming that he’s still wanted.
Asked if he still wanted to be in Boston, Beckett replied:
Absolutely. But if people don’t want you, you don’t want to be there. Obviously I have some things where it would be very difficult for them to trade me if I didn’t want to be traded. But you have to think realistically. If you’re not wanted somewhere, why stay there? Know what I mean? It kind of makes it a little more difficult. But [GM Ben Cherington] assured me during spring training that he wants me here, so as far as I’m concerned, it’s just made-up fodder.
Beckett is signed through 2014 and will make $15.75 million each of the next two years. It seems like a fair price for what he brings to the table, even if he has been something of a disappointment with his 4.57 ERA this season.
Beckett said that if the Red Sox did present him with a trade scenario, he would consider it:
Obviously I would use my 10/5 right to make sure it’s the right situation. But like I said, if somebody says they’re going to trade you, that usually means they don’t want you. I think that’s where you’d have to think about your situation and their situation. Nobody wants to be somewhere where they’re not wanted.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)