Jul 27, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
With the Red Sox shaping up as long shots in the AL East, the team is reportedly fielding inquiries on Josh Beckett, despite his no-trade protection. Beckett, though, told WEEI.com he wants to stay in Boston, assuming that he’s still wanted.
Asked if he still wanted to be in Boston, Beckett replied:
Absolutely. But if people don’t want you, you don’t want to be there. Obviously I have some things where it would be very difficult for them to trade me if I didn’t want to be traded. But you have to think realistically. If you’re not wanted somewhere, why stay there? Know what I mean? It kind of makes it a little more difficult. But [GM Ben Cherington] assured me during spring training that he wants me here, so as far as I’m concerned, it’s just made-up fodder.
Beckett is signed through 2014 and will make $15.75 million each of the next two years. It seems like a fair price for what he brings to the table, even if he has been something of a disappointment with his 4.57 ERA this season.
Beckett said that if the Red Sox did present him with a trade scenario, he would consider it:
Obviously I would use my 10/5 right to make sure it’s the right situation. But like I said, if somebody says they’re going to trade you, that usually means they don’t want you. I think that’s where you’d have to think about your situation and their situation. Nobody wants to be somewhere where they’re not wanted.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)