Josh Beckett ignores rumors, wants to stay in Boston

Jul 27, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT

Bobby Valentine, Josh Beckett AP

With the Red Sox shaping up as long shots in the AL East, the team is reportedly fielding inquiries on Josh Beckett, despite his no-trade protection. Beckett, though, told WEEI.com he wants to stay in Boston, assuming that he’s still wanted.

Asked if he still wanted to be in Boston, Beckett replied:

Absolutely. But if people don’t want you, you don’t want to be there. Obviously I have some things where it would be very difficult for them to trade me if I didn’t want to be traded. But you have to think realistically. If you’re not wanted somewhere, why stay there? Know what I mean? It kind of makes it a little more difficult. But [GM Ben Cherington] assured me during spring training that he wants me here, so as far as I’m concerned, it’s just made-up fodder.

Beckett is signed through 2014 and will make $15.75 million each of the next two years. It seems like a fair price for what he brings to the table, even if he has been something of a disappointment with his 4.57 ERA this season.

Beckett said that if the Red Sox did present him with a trade scenario, he would consider it:

Obviously I would use my 10/5 right to make sure it’s the right situation. But like I said, if somebody says they’re going to trade you, that usually means they don’t want you. I think that’s where you’d have to think about your situation and their situation. Nobody wants to be somewhere where they’re not wanted.

1. shawnuel - Jul 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I wonder what JOSH Beckett thinks of all this?

2. sabatimus - Jul 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM

You know, this may be a denial, but it sure doesn’t read like one.

3. bigharold - Jul 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM

“Obviously I have some things where it would be very difficult for them to trade me…”

Yeah like the 35-40 mil he’s still owed on the rest of his contract to start with. Not to mention the bad bad back and questionable attitude.

Frankly with what the RS still owe him, .. unless they are willing to pay about half of that I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Really, how much can the RS afford to pay guys to go play elsewhere?

4. vanmorrissey - Jul 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM

But with that attitude and pathetic record for the money he makes, who wants him.

5. 24missed - Jul 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I hope he stays. I know the stats, but I really think he’s got it and will turn it around. Some support could make a big difference.

He’s another guy that is pretty charitable around New England. We can’t say that about every player. I think that shows he cares a bit more than we might think.

It would be pretty cool to let all the grief from last year go. Even just look at the road ahead and root for the team game by game. Maybe Beckett and the other players would feel like the RS fans are behind them. You can’t pick and choose years to be Sox fans. You either are or you aren’t.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

He’s going to turn it around?

As Bob Ryan is fond of pointing out, Josh Beckett has delivered precisely ONE great, ace-like season from start to finish in all his years in Boston (2007).

One.

He’s been ace-like for stretches of seasons since…last year he ALMOST delivered a full-season of great pitching until the September meltdown.

If the guy at least pitched like the badass tough guy that he acts like, I wouldn’t care much about his lousy attitude.

I mean, Clemens was a huge prick too, but at least he backed it up on the mound. With Beckett, we get unreliable pitching and an absolutely loathsome persona.

6. pisano - Jul 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM

aces….. you pretty much covered it, I only wish the Yankees would have had a chance at beating his ass this series, there’s is nothing more enjoyable than watching Beckett look at balls that he’s thrown leaving the stadium.

7. badintent - Jul 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM

It’s time for BSox to give up on this season and unload whoever they can for what ever they can get, $$, draft picks, players, dogs, cats, etc .I’m thinking Dice -K so he can have Ichiro to talk to in Japanese and Kabyashi to eat hot dogs with.Yankees will get back Joba and A-Rod just in time for playoffs and then march like Patton’s 3rd Army to the WS.Is Roger coming back now that his trial is over ??Did he ever officially retire ??

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3697)