Jul 27, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Matt Harvey’s debut was fantastic. It easily stands as the most excitement Mets fans have had for a while, and stands as great hope for the future.
But jeez, Terry Collins: maybe you need to ease up on the pressure a bit?
“I’ve talked to scouts who think he is a three or a four [starter], let me tell you something, that’s No. 1 kind of stuff right there, that’s [Justin] Verlander, [Stephen] Strasburg stuff,’’ he said.
It may very well be awesome stuff. But man, even guys with the best stuff don’t become that good very often. And in a place like New York, people will remember that stuff and, if Harvey somehow doesn’t become a regular Cy Young candidate, folks are gonna think of him, unfairly, as a flop.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 44
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 42
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 26
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)