Jul 27, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Matt Harvey’s debut was fantastic. It easily stands as the most excitement Mets fans have had for a while, and stands as great hope for the future.
But jeez, Terry Collins: maybe you need to ease up on the pressure a bit?
“I’ve talked to scouts who think he is a three or a four [starter], let me tell you something, that’s No. 1 kind of stuff right there, that’s [Justin] Verlander, [Stephen] Strasburg stuff,’’ he said.
It may very well be awesome stuff. But man, even guys with the best stuff don’t become that good very often. And in a place like New York, people will remember that stuff and, if Harvey somehow doesn’t become a regular Cy Young candidate, folks are gonna think of him, unfairly, as a flop.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)