No pressure: Terry Collins compares Matt Harvey to Strasburg, Verlander

Jul 27, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Matt Harvey Getty Images

Matt Harvey’s debut was fantastic. It easily stands as the most excitement Mets fans have had for a while, and stands as great hope for the future.

But jeez, Terry Collins: maybe you need to ease up on the pressure a bit?

“I’ve talked to scouts who think he is a three or a four [starter], let me tell you something, that’s No. 1 kind of stuff right there, that’s [Justin] Verlander, [Stephen] Strasburg stuff,’’ he said.

It may very well be awesome stuff. But man, even guys with the best stuff don’t become that good very often. And in a place like New York, people will remember that stuff and, if Harvey somehow doesn’t become a regular Cy Young candidate, folks are gonna think of him, unfairly, as a flop.

1. sabatimus - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM

After one game. Please.

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Exactly! If Harvey’s debut makes him Verlander or Strasburg, then Starling Marte must be the next Henry Aaron based on his first at-bat.

2. mbkrouse - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Last evening Starling Marte played his first game as a Pittsburgh Pirate. He led off and hit a home run in this first at bat, on the first pitch. For the evening he was 2 for 4. Truly an excellent debut. Yet all you can write about is the latest Met phenom Matt Harvey. I wish nothing but success for Matt and I’m sure his performance is worthy of recognition, but why don’t you try to cover all major league teams. It appears you are writing for a “big market” audience.

Good luck, I’ll get my national sports news elsewhere.

• Jeremy T - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Not good enough? I guess I am a little surprised that Craig didn’t give Marte another mention in ATH, but it’s not like the debut was ignored. Anyways, you’re probably gone already so I guess you won’t see this. Good luck to you, too :)

• number42is1 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Psssssssssssst…. (reading is fundamental)

• Jeremy T - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I win!

• number42is1 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Always a bridesmaid…

• mJankiewicz - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I think you have this site confused with ESPN.

So there’s that.

• mJankiewicz - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Bronze medal.

• Jeremy T - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM

An admirable effort

• khuxford - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Confused with ESPN? From what? Mets over Pirates? Is that an East-ier Coast bias?

• mJankiewicz - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

No… Big market bias. Was that really not clear based on my comment and the original comment?

• ugglasforearms - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Craig’s post was about Terry Collins’ comment, not about Matt Harvey per se.

• Glenn - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Even the local Mets broadcast gave Marte his due during Harvey’s game.

• mezzano1 - Jul 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Matt Harvey also went 2 for 2 so he has a higher batting average then Marte. Not bad for a pitcher.

3. edavidberg - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

3.68 ERA in AAA this year, averaged a k an inning … This guy is not a dominant pitcher, he’s a dime a dozen.

• bigleagues - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Averaging a K per Inning represents a “dime a dozen” pitcher?

Huh.

Gotto be honest, I’m having a hard time culling a list of Minor League SP’s who average a K per Inning.

In fact, kind of an exclusive list in MLB as well.

His ERA isn’t flashy to be sure . . . but that AAA ERA is more or less a barometer. It certainly isn’t the ceiling on what he is capable of.

4. chill1184 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:02 PM

So a manager heaping praise on one of this players is a bad thing?

5. cruuuzcontrol - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Calcaterra never misses a chance to stomp out some excitement for Met fans. To be fair to Collins, I think you should mention that he was referring strictly to the velocity and life on Harvey’s fastball last night, and not looking to establish any bench mark for Harvey’s career. But no… Partisan Braves fan all the way.

• Jeremy T - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I dunno, I’m not sure that this would really count as “stomping out excitement”. Nobody’s saying that Harvey won’t be good, but comparing him to some of the best in the sport after one game is setting yourself up for a painful plummet back to Earth.

• keithbangedyermom - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Craig’s homerism is one drawback to the site. We get it – you are a Braves fan and you hate the Mets. Excellent. Got it. Next.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Let me get this straight: saying that it may be unreasonable to compare a guy who has one major league start under his belt to Justin Verlander and Stephen Strasburg makes me a “homer?”

Just want to be clear on this.

• keithbangedyermom - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Not on this post. But come on Craig – you know you milked a lot of sitehit mileage out of the Wilpon scandal. And the constant Bobby V posts? I like your wit and I like this site. All I’m saying is sometimes you don’t even try to hide that you aren’t fond of the Mets. It’s not a big deal anyway.

The Harvey comparisons are indeed ridiculous. TC is reaching for anything positive right now.

6. keithbangedyermom - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM

LOL….he’s no Verlander. But a Wheeler-Harvey-Niese rotation core is sweet.

7. bigleagues - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM

THE PRIDE OF SouthEASTERN CONNECTICUT!

Matt Harvey will be manufacturing Met’s fans in an area of Connecticut in which they are virtually an afterthought.

• 24missed - Jul 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Small world.

We probably live relatively close to each other.

8. number42is1 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I had this conversation with someone this morning. he gave a dazzling performance and 11SO is nothing to cough at.. but lets give it some time before folks start calling him the next strass or verlander. a few of his SO were folks swinging in the other batters box which wont continue to happen once they figure him out. Also throwing 98-99 constantly is not the best thing in the world either (see Strassburg, Stephen). I wish him all the luck in the world.

9. exibitsman - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM

now the Mets need to call up Wheeler and fulmer. they can trade r j dickey and Santana for some more top prospectus

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Who the hell is r j dickey?

• number42is1 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Santana is worth the dirt on his mound right now. cant stay healthy and hes only had a handful of good starts this season. hes trade bait next yr at the deadline if hes healthy.

• chill1184 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Christ this sounds like a WFAN caller or from that idiot Francesa himself. Fulmer and Wheeler are no where near ready. Dickey wont be traded and no one will take Santana’s contract in addition as we have seen these past few years, durability is not Santana’s strong suit.

• keithbangedyermom - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM

LOL….Fulmer is in low A guys and is 19!! Let’s wait a couple years on him!

• jolink653 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM

could have sworn his second initial was A but then again I only watch baseball every day

10. Jonny 5 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Justin Verlander wasn’t even “JUSTIN VERLANDER” until he was 26 and had been in the big leagues for 3+ seasons already. Strausburg is the true phenom imo. But what I’m getting at is this, nobody knows what any pitcher is really capable of EVER. We can only speculate using past performance as a indicator at best. By doing that Harvey is likely to fall off his debut game numbers a bit. I’d expect him to be able to hold his own quite well and develop into a great pitcher. If his body/mind doesn’t give out on him first anyway.

11. stackers1 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Calcaterra is anti-NY, period. He doesn’t even try to hide it.

• Jeremy T - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM

We probably deserve it, though

12. paperlions - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Waaaah, you don’t write enough stories about my team’s awesomeness.

Waaaah, you said a player for my team won’t be the best player, like…ever.

Arglebargleflimflamityflam!

Jeez, I am getting tired of random fan complaining that the universe doesn’t revolve around whatever good thing happened to their favorite team.

13. zaro11 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Cmon Terry give the kid a break. Verlander/Strass are in a league of their own. Harvey should not be in the same paragraph as those guys, at least not yet. Izzy and Pulsipher automatically come to mind when someone hypes a young Met pitcher.

14. dasportsninja - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM

If you actually herd Terry’s interview, he was saying, in response to a question about some national scouts calling Harvey a future # 4 starter, that he thought Harvey had much greater potential. AS his fastball and curve are on par with some of the greats, like strasburg or verlander. This is another case of you taking something completly out of context.

• drewsylvania - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Career 1.29 WHIP…in the minors.

15. drewsylvania - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Based on Harvey’s minor league stats, he might be lucky to be the next Daniel Cabrera.

Strasburg, my ass.

16. keithbangedyermom - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I’m sure his fastball-slider combo will be easily getting by Ryan Howard’s slowing bat the next few years.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3493)