Jul 27, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Matt Harvey’s debut was fantastic. It easily stands as the most excitement Mets fans have had for a while, and stands as great hope for the future.
But jeez, Terry Collins: maybe you need to ease up on the pressure a bit?
“I’ve talked to scouts who think he is a three or a four [starter], let me tell you something, that’s No. 1 kind of stuff right there, that’s [Justin] Verlander, [Stephen] Strasburg stuff,’’ he said.
It may very well be awesome stuff. But man, even guys with the best stuff don’t become that good very often. And in a place like New York, people will remember that stuff and, if Harvey somehow doesn’t become a regular Cy Young candidate, folks are gonna think of him, unfairly, as a flop.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 10
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 73
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)