Jul 27, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Trade rumors continued to swirl around Matt Garza despite the Cubs right-hander leaving his July 21 start with a triceps injury, but now he can be crossed off the list of pitchers potentially on the move before July 31.
Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago reports that an MRI exam showed fluid in Garza’s triceps, which means he’ll be shut down until after Tuesday’s deadline has passed.
Garza technically could still be traded even while hurting, but obviously it would be tough for the Cubs to get anything close to full value for a pitcher with a big health question mark. And because they have him under team control for 2013 via arbitration they could start shopping him again this offseason.
Another possibility is dealing Garza during August, but because numerous contenders would surely place waiver claims on him the Cubs would be limited to negotiating with whichever team put in a claim with the highest priority. That would kill their leverage then, just as the triceps injury has killed their leverage now.
Several reports have suggested that the Dodgers preferred Garza to rotation-mate Ryan Dempster, so while the injury is bad news for the Cubs it could actually make it easier to get a strong return for Dempster.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)