Jul 27, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s hard to imagine Batista getting another big-league job at this point, but then again I’ve been saying that since about 2008.
He’ll get a chance to say it again, because the Braves just signed Batista.
Atlanta had Livan Hernandez for a while this year and then they released him, so I’m not sure why they want a less-durable, more literary version of him. I guess they just missed having a way-past-his-sell-date former Washington Nationals swingman on the roster. We all have our kinks.
Batista pitched 46 and two-thirds innings for the Mets this year, starting in five games and coming out of the pen for 25. He notched a 4.82 ERA and struck out 34 while walking 31 (!) batters.
If any of you are seeing anything in that stat line that I’m missing which would help a team with pretensions of contending, please feel free to point it out to me in the comments. Because I’m at a total loss.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 71
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)