The Dodgers have shown some interest in Justin Morneau

Jul 27, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT

Kinda seems like the Dodgers have showed some interest in everyone in the past week or so. It’s almost like they’re as interested in generating local buzz for being active at the deadline as they are at improving the team. Hey, their club. They can do what they want.

The latest:

Morneau is still not his old self — indeed, after a really nice May he has regressed some — but he’s an upgrade over James Loney. I mean, he still can hit righties at a pretty good clip. So it could make some sense. For the Twins, relief from any of the $14 million Morneau is owed next year would be a good thing.

1. randygnyc - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Morneau is made out of glass. Dodgers will have to add a stemware specialist, too

2. dodger88 - Jul 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Since money appears to be no object and he shouldn’t cost even 1 decent prospect, the Dodgers should take a chance on Morneau. Nero zeor risk / high reward.

3. jwillie123 - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Dude has had a rough past few years with health that has affected his production. I think one more full offseason to put on weight and muscle will help him. I hope the twins keep him and he is back to good next year. I mean they won’t get crap for him now, so might as well keep him.

4. unfortunateminnesotasportsfan - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I heard the twins want a major league ready guy in return for morny. I doubt they get it, but I doubt he gets moved either. Would piss off a lot of fans here that keep thinking he’s gonna return to MVP form. Lol I’m not one of em. :-)

5. randygnyc - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM

If the twins ever expect to achieve full value for Mauer, he’ll have to play first base to prolong his career while avoiding injury. Morneau has to go for that reason alone. But the geniuses in Minnesota don’t seem to grasp this, —— YET.

6. jontwinkies - Jul 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM

To get full value for Mauer he really needs to play at least half his games behind the plate. Not saying they shouldn’t trade Morneau but Mauer needs to play catcher.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto