Jul 27, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Out since July 8 with a hip injury, Todd Helton is back from the disabled list and batting fifth in the Rockies’ lineup tonight.
Before the DL stint Helton started 58 of 77 games at first base and the Rockies figure to give him regular time off in an effort to keep the 38-year-old healthy. Michael Cuddyer, who had been filling in at first base, will shift back to right field while Tyler Colvin and Andrew Brown losing playing time.
Helton has hit just .235 with a .730 OPS in 256 plate appearances this season, but he’s signed through next year as part of a renegotiated long-term contract that allowed the Rockies to defer payments until 2023.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 22
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 24
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 32
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (119)