Jul 27, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Out since July 8 with a hip injury, Todd Helton is back from the disabled list and batting fifth in the Rockies’ lineup tonight.
Before the DL stint Helton started 58 of 77 games at first base and the Rockies figure to give him regular time off in an effort to keep the 38-year-old healthy. Michael Cuddyer, who had been filling in at first base, will shift back to right field while Tyler Colvin and Andrew Brown losing playing time.
Helton has hit just .235 with a .730 OPS in 256 plate appearances this season, but he’s signed through next year as part of a renegotiated long-term contract that allowed the Rockies to defer payments until 2023.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)