Jul 27, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Out since July 8 with a hip injury, Todd Helton is back from the disabled list and batting fifth in the Rockies’ lineup tonight.
Before the DL stint Helton started 58 of 77 games at first base and the Rockies figure to give him regular time off in an effort to keep the 38-year-old healthy. Michael Cuddyer, who had been filling in at first base, will shift back to right field while Tyler Colvin and Andrew Brown losing playing time.
Helton has hit just .235 with a .730 OPS in 256 plate appearances this season, but he’s signed through next year as part of a renegotiated long-term contract that allowed the Rockies to defer payments until 2023.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)