Trade rumors ain’t what they used to be

Jul 27, 2012, 5:06 PM EST

Maybe it’s the Olympics. Maybe it’s something else. I have no idea, but it seems like we are way less awash in crazy, tenuous speculation, mystery teams, tire-kicking and this or that scoop writer “hearing this” or that.  To the extent there have been trade rumors, they’ve been pretty straight forward things like “a lot of teams are interested in Zack Greinke.”

Booo-ring!

Thank goodness for Kevin Goldstein, then:

It’s been a long week. It’s after 5. I think “wacky high” sounds just fine right about now. I’ll take it.

1. El Bravo - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I hate the eastern time zone….yawn….looking forward to a wacky high though.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I am right there with you on both accounts Bravo. I have not like the ETZ since we started following daylight savings time. I (and many…many others in Indiana) think if we are going to observe daylight savings time it should be Central. Really looking forward to a wacky high as well.
      About 30 minutes with a cold beer. Have a good weekend!

• El Bravo - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Cheers mate. Also, it’s 4:20 here, suck it East Coast!

2. budselog - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Well, tell Ken Rosenthal and his collection of bow ties to get moving already.

It’s super boring and I’m tired of all the Greinke talk. I want something big to come down the pipe with a 3 team deal involving John Lester, Josh Beckett, beer, chicken, bags of balls, and Josh Johnson. Isn’t that enough Miami?

3. redguy12588 - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Padres should try and keep headley. Their farm system is stacked and hed be a good veteran leader.

4. kopy - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Which is costlier? “wacky high” or “like, forever”

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Great question Kopy. I am going with “like, forever” costing more.
      Cause’ after all…it’s “like forever.”

• metalhead65 - Jul 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

so does that mean he is being traded to the reds? walt has shown 2 things in his time with the reds, his love of washed up ex-cards and his willingness to trade the farm for 1 player in the latos deal.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Metalhead: Your glass is half empty again. You better fill er’ up!

• metalhead65 - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM

what did I say that is wrong? I will give you that ludwick has turned it around after sucking thru mid june but other than that where am I wrong? did he not trade the farm for latos? were teams other than the reds lined up to sign the card rejects like edmonds and renteria? the giants won the world series with renteria and did not want him back so what did walt do? over pay for a over the hill washed up ex card. I am sorry you are offended by that term but it is true. and the glass is not half full,the reds are in first place but that does not mean I have to over look the flaws in the team.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I was joking Man! You guys have won 10 straight and yet you still grasp at straws to find something negative. Yep…the Latos deal required you to literally give up the farm. It’s working out okay though isn’t it? You guys are trying to win now. That should be evident. Renteria and Edmonds are gone. New year! Let it go.

5. skerney - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Wacky high is what i call my niece when she finishes the bowl of caramel corn and jolt cola “cereal” i pour her while i babysit.

• El Bravo - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM

You sir, are a great uncle. I’m taking notes.

6. proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM

This just in! “The Jays are heavily interested in Jeff Francis”. You did not hear that here first.

7. Ben - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Does anyone actually give a sh*t about the Olympics? I don’t know anyone who actually cares about the Olympics, but maybe everyone I know is just disaffected.
    Also, no on is trading because everyone is “in it.” Thanks, second wild card.

• El Bravo - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Seriously, even Phelps couldn’t give a f@ck enough to comb his hair for his Olympic village ID badge. I smell low ratings ahead (for the U.S. viewership at least).

• sdsockers - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I care deeply about the Olympics. Went to the ’84 Summer Games in Los Angeles, and I’ve loved watching both Summer and Winter on TV every time it’s shown. Of course, I actually like watching track and field, so I understand why some people might not feel the same.

Oh, and I hope Chase Headley brings riches to the Padres when he’s traded. He’s a solid 3rd base, will provide good pop in a smaller park than Petco, stays in the lineup every day, and keeps his mouth shut. We’ll miss him, but the Pad’s have kids on the farm that are blocked by him, and I think they’ll do well.

• Ben - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, I feel bad for the sports that only get attention from a broader audience during the Olympics. It’s just become so appallingly corporate and creepy that I can’t stomach watching it.

8. randygnyc - Jul 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM

The only reason Headley’s price is so high is because Arod got hurt. All teams try to gouge the Yankees at the deadline. And that’s why they prefer to bring in talent as free agent signings.

• Reflex - Jul 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM

You know Randy, its always good to have you around to remind everyone just how difficult life is for poor, suffering Yankees fans. It must be truly terrible when other teams have something the Yankees have need of and they have the nerve to attempt to extract maximum value.

My heart, it bleeds for your terrible plight and the plight of your team. God I hope they do not miss the playoffs over this barely legalized extortion…

Maybe MLB will instruct the M’s to give them Felix to make up for this terrible situation.

9. proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Yankee outsiders have strongly denied that they have offered dirtyharry1971 to the Red Sox for Josh Beckett. They say that they are quite content to keep Harry down on his Scranton farm.

10. Old Gator - Jul 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Craig, stop whining and make some rumors up yourself. It’s what you’re paid for.

11. proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I am going to predict that Greinke will be traded to the Angels. Oh, they just did! Nevermind.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester