Jul 28, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Brewers are getting right-handed reliever Fautino De Los Santos.
SATURDAY, 4:02 PM ET: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the two clubs have reached an agreement on a deal. It’s not clear what the Brewers are getting in return, but it doesn’t figure to be much.
SATURDAY, 3:30 PM ET: According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, the Brewers are close to trading catcher George Kottaras to the Athletics.
Kottaras was designated for assignment earlier this week after Jonathan Lucroy was activated from the disabled list and Brewers decided to go with Martin Maldonado as their backup catcher. Brewers general manager Doug Melvin quickly came out and said that he was working on trading him to another team.
Kottaras is batting just .209 this season, but has a .409 on-base percentage, 29 walks and three homers over 116 plate appearances. In other words, he’s right up Billy Beane’s alley. The 29-year-old backstop owns a .221/.326/.402 batting line and a .728 OPS in the big leagues.
The Athletics have a lousy .198/.250/.269 batting line and a major-league worst .519 OPS from their catchers this season. Kurt Suzuki and rookie Derek Norris have shared playing time behind the plate recently.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle speculates that this could be a sign that Suzuki could be on the move. Slusser hears that the Rays, Dodgers and Angels are among the teams who are believed to have some interest. That may be a tough sell, as the 28-year-old is hitting just .213/.247/.273 with one home run and a .520 OPS this season. He is owed $6.45 million next season while his contract includes an $8.5 million club option for 2014 or a $650,000 buyout.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)