Jul 28, 2012, 6:00 PM EST
There may still be a reason to pay attention the Marlins over the final two months of the season, as Giancarlo Stanton‘s return from right knee surgery is just around the corner.
According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, Stanton expects to begin a minor league rehab assignment Wednesday with High-A Jupiter.
Stanton underwent surgery on July 8 to remove loose bone and cartilage fragments from his right knee. He believes he’ll need about four or five rehab games in anticipation of a possible return on August 10 against the Dodgers when the Marlins begin a six-game homestand.
Stanton, 22, is hitting .284/.364/.554 with 19 home runs, 50 RBI and a .919 OPS in 80 games this season. The Marlins are 4-11 since his last game on July 7 and have traded Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante during his absence. We could see more deals before Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 20
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 143
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 39
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 23