Jul 28, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has the goods:
Joey Votto has not yet resumed baseball activities — other than throwing some — but he’ll likely start Monday when the team returns home.
“Ideally,” said trainer Paul Lessard.
Votto has played games of catch and done some light running but has yet to truly test his surgically-repaired left knee. If all goes well in his workouts, the 28-year-old first baseman could be back in the Reds’ starting lineup by the second week of August.
Votto was batting .342/.465/.604 with 14 homers and 49 RBI in 86 games before going under the knife.
The Reds are a surprising 9-2 in his absence and are currently leading the Rockies at Coors Field.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 65
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (101)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)