Jul 28, 2012, 10:03 PM EST
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has the goods:
Joey Votto has not yet resumed baseball activities — other than throwing some — but he’ll likely start Monday when the team returns home.
“Ideally,” said trainer Paul Lessard.
Votto has played games of catch and done some light running but has yet to truly test his surgically-repaired left knee. If all goes well in his workouts, the 28-year-old first baseman could be back in the Reds’ starting lineup by the second week of August.
Votto was batting .342/.465/.604 with 14 homers and 49 RBI in 86 games before going under the knife.
The Reds are a surprising 9-2 in his absence and are currently leading the Rockies at Coors Field.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27