Jul 28, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has the goods:
Joey Votto has not yet resumed baseball activities — other than throwing some — but he’ll likely start Monday when the team returns home.
“Ideally,” said trainer Paul Lessard.
Votto has played games of catch and done some light running but has yet to truly test his surgically-repaired left knee. If all goes well in his workouts, the 28-year-old first baseman could be back in the Reds’ starting lineup by the second week of August.
Votto was batting .342/.465/.604 with 14 homers and 49 RBI in 86 games before going under the knife.
The Reds are a surprising 9-2 in his absence and are currently leading the Rockies at Coors Field.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)