Jul 28, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
Jose Bautista is unlikely to return from the disabled list when he’s first eligible on Wednesday, but he’s making progress.
Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Bautista swung a bat today for the first time since injuring his left wrist on a swing on July 16. The 31-year-old slugger went through a series of dry swings and swings off a tee with a fungo bat. The next step involves doing the same with a regular bat before taking flip throws and then batting practice. Barring any setbacks, a return late next week appears possible.
Bautista is hitting .244/.360/.534 with 27 home runs, 65 RBI and an .894 OPS in 90 games played this year. He’s currently tied for fifth in the majors in home runs, despite his recent absence. Rookie outfielder Anthony Gose will likely be sent back down to Triple-A Las Vegas when Bautista is ready to return.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?