Josh Hamilton is hearing the boo birds

Jul 28, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT

Josh Hamilton AP AP

After being criticized by Rangers president and CEO Nolan Ryan earlier this week, Josh Hamilton is now hearing it from some of his home fans.

Hamilton went 0-for-4 in last night’s 9-5 loss to the White Sox. While he at least contributed with a sacrifice fly and an RBI ground out, a smattering of boos could be heard after he struck out in the third and fifth innings.

According to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Hamilton wasn’t happy about being booed in his home ballpark, but acknowledged that it comes with the territory.

“Yeah, I noticed but it’s all about what have you done for me lately, no matter who you are,” Hamilton said. “That’s what it is. There are more fans that are still cheering and encouraging me than the ones that are booing.

“I pray for the ones that are [booing] and I appreciate the support of the other ones.”

Hamilton, who has fought addiction his entire career, has heard plenty from fans across the country. But what did he make of the hometown crowd booing him?

“It’s disappointing,” he said.

Hamilton paused and repeated: “It’s disappointing. It is. I’ll leave it at that.”

Hamilton is currently tied with Miguel Cabrera for the American League lead with 83 RBI, but his slump has lingered for nearly two months. The impending free agent is hitting just .190 with seven homers and a 56/18 K/BB ratio in 186 plate appearances since the start of June, which has seen his batting average tumble from .368 to .284 overall.
  1. proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Lets start another trade rumor. Will they trade the impending free agent at the deadline? I am sure that Boston would be happy to trade both Beckett and Lester for him.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM

My latest rumor has Hamilton and Lewis to Boston for Crawford and Beckett.

2. legacybroken - Jul 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Texas is not taking on Boston’s albatrosses. They aren’t stupid. Boston is stuck with Crawford and Fried Chicken until their deals are up.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If Heyman, Morosi and Olney can start rumors, so can I. If you do not like my rumor, start your own.

3. hittfamily - Jul 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Pray for the victims of Aurora.

Don’t pray for the fans who are booing you. Get your ass in the cage, and figure out why everyone is booing you. You are an entertainer, and no one is entertained. Why the hell shouldn’t they boo you?

• hittfamily - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM

9 up, 12 down? Seriously? Rarely do I call out thumbers, but get real. I am not a praying man, but if I was, with all the shitty things involved with life, “Dear God, please forgive them for being displeased with my baseball performance” would not even break my top 1000 requests.

4. whodeytn - Jul 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Pray for the victims of Aurora.

—-/

Yeah, how dare he!!

I’m sure it’s as easy as getting in a cage and getting better at the snap of a finger… Wonder why he hasn’t tried that??

• hittfamily - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

It would do a hell of a lot more good than praying for people find his results at the plate less than helpful.

Invoke god if you want. Be prepared for the ridicule and anger when it is over such stupid things as booing, touchdowns, and senate bills.

• tom1954 - Jul 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM

How about if we just pray for you, hittfamily?

5. cuffhimbanano - Jul 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I know they have the right but booing a player for mistakes or not performing is a result of stupidity and ignorance on the part of the fans.
    I’ll never get that one and really don’t want to. Unless there’s a lack of effort booing should only be done by those fans with double digit IQs and or miserable lives.

• hittfamily - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I find this to be an absolute ignorant post. The last time I went to a baseball game, it cost almost 400 dollars after parking and concessions. There are a lot of people who sacraficed a lot to go watch Josh Hamilton, and the Texas Rangers play. I could have taken my kids to Disney for a similiar cost. If a ride breaks down, I’m disappointed. If 5 rides break down, I’m disappointed I came. If 10 rides break down, I vocally lodge a complaint to anyone I see.

Hamilton has been crap for 2 months. He had 10 rides break down. People are vocally letting him know they are disappointed. Where is the problem? People have to love a guy who has openly said in 2 months he will no longer be a Ranger, and is currently one of the worst players in the league?

“What have you done for me latley”?

Well I payed %2 of my yearly salary to come and watch you paly. What the fuck have YOU done for me lately?

• hittfamily - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Edit. I have 2 kids and a wife. That is why it was so pricey. I also took a trip to the Rockies and attended a …..guess who……Rockies game. I usually attend Rays games, which costs about 125 for a fam of 4. I still boo Carlos Pena, whether I’m watching at home on TV, or sitting in the air conditioned confines of tropicana field. I have never felt bad about if, whether he is trying or not. You demand a big contract, you declare big expectations.

6. Uncle Charlie - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I can’t say that I’m a big fan of FG anymore or D.C. for that matter but he really nailed it two months ago in his article. Hamilton’s O-swing % is insane, we’re talking Vladimir Guerrero hacks. He needs to tighten up his zone instead of attacking everything that’s at him.

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Why are you not a fan of FG or DC anymore? Just curious

• Uncle Charlie - Jul 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I think DC is sanctimonious and most FG writers are so formulaic like actuarialist writing about baseball.

7. timb12 - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Where’s Slamilton when you need him?

8. lewp - Jul 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Fans pay money to attend a game. Fans can boo all they want…it’s their right as they purchased that right. Josh, on the other hand is gettig paid to perform and he isn’t. He is stealing from the company. Tales a lot of stones to then ask “what have you done for me lately”.

He’s dogging it people!

9. billymc75 - Jul 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Welcome to Cowboys fan land Josh

10. billymc75 - Jul 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM

They’ve already forgotten the lean years

11. randygnyc - Jul 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Hamilton and his fragile sensibilities.

12. mybrunoblog - Jul 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Wait. Josh Hamilton is not the greatest player of the last 40 years? Ok. Glad we cleared that up. Back in April and May some media and fans were already sculpting his HOF plaque.

13. xmatt0926x - Jul 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Boo this boo that. Who cares? The real issue here is the genius of Nolan Ryan who has achieved exactly what he wanted to do with his comments the other day. He saw that amazing first part of the season from Hamilton and had no idea how the Rangers could sign him for crazy Pujols plus money or let him go and deal with the wrath of the fans. The other day his comments towards Hamilton were meant to plant the seed with the fans that they won’t be offering him a crazy, franchise crippling deal. They will at most offer him “X” dollars and years and his recent poor play is the reason. Now the fans are really taking notice at the flaws Ryan pointed out and here come the boo birds. Nolan Ryan……Master manipulator..

14. nflfollower - Jul 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I remember all that ridiculous triple crown talk back in may. There’s a reason it almost never happens, baseball is an incredibly difficult sport, with hitting being the hardest aspect. I don’t like the rangers, but Hamilton has always impressed me for obvious reasons, and i can understand his disappointment at being booed. If anybody had a reason to boo their superstar, it was tigers fans after cabrera was boozing and getting into trouble with the law the night before a pivotal late season game a few years back. In that situation, I could understand, but he still wasn’t booed.

15. yahmule - Jul 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Even Mozart had his critics, although, to be fair, he generally encouraged them to kiss his ass.

16. kinggw - Jul 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I hope the same people arguing fans have a right to boo understand that Hamilton may exercise his right to leave via free agency next season. The same fans booing will be the same ones crying that Hamilton isnt loyal when he goes somewhere else.

Cuffhimbanano has it right. Unless Hamilton is giving a substandard effort there is no reason to boo him or any other player for that matter.

• ezthinking - Jul 29, 2012 at 1:57 AM

You do realize that not everyone booing is a Ranger fan. They came to see the show. They got an understudy who sucked. They can boo.

When his fragile ass signs for less next year than he “should,” no one feel sorry for him or the Rangers; feel sorry for the team that signed him.

In Texas, Hamilton = Richard Hidalgo.

17. gibbstastic - Jul 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM

“People don’t boo nobodies.”

18. ermur22 - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Josh Hamilton is a drunk loooooser. I don’t even believe he is a Christian. Grow up and deal. If you play shitty, you get booed simple as that.

19. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I admire Hamilton for overcoming serious problems. But what is up with these athletes who cannot tolerate any level of criticism? It’s every sport, every level.

20. artisan3m - Jul 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The way he is currently playing he deserves a few boos. Why is he still batting 3rd in the order when he is darned near oh-for-summer? Maybe a few games on the pines watching Gentry (better speed; better BA) put on an exhibition, Hamilton will regain his focus. Frankly, I don’t think the Ranger’s batting performance as a team has been all that impressive since about two weeks before the break. Maybe hitting coach Scott Coolbaugh deserves a little boo-bird treatment. There is no evidence that he is doing his job, either.

21. bigmeechy74 - Jul 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I love it when athletes talk about god and prayer. Oh wait, No i don’t. At all.

22. whiskyriver27 - Jul 29, 2012 at 2:06 AM

You can’t trade Josh to Boston, just too many bars too many ways to get in trouble and not enough Jesus.

23. angrycorgi - Jul 29, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Josh had this coming. He joked before the season that the Rangers would squeeze every ounce of production out of him and keep him in CF all year. He’s playing LF now. He said that there would be now chance of a hometown discount and that he just wants as much $$$ as possible. So it’s all business from him on the money front, so why should ANYONE NOT boo him when he’s having half-a$$ at-bats and not playing all out at LF? You can’t tell a fan base that they mean nothing to you and then expect them to hold you up on a pedestal when your performance is in the toilet.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3641)