Jul 28, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
From Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star comes word that Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas was removed from Saturday’s game against the Mariners because of a sprained right knee that he suffered on a diving defensive play in the first inning.
The Royals don’t seem overly concerned about the injury, but “Moose” seems likely to sit out of Sunday’s series-finale with Seattle as a precautionary measure. He was 0-for-1 on Saturday afternoon at Safeco Field before being replaced at third base by Yuniesky Betancourt.
Moustakas, 23, is batting .262/.317/.461 with 16 home runs and 50 RBI in 95 games played this season.
UPDATE, 7:49 PM: Dutton reports that Moustakas will undergo an MRI on Sunday morning.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 9
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 105
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 98
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (106)