Jul 28, 2012, 7:10 PM EST
From Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star comes word that Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas was removed from Saturday’s game against the Mariners because of a sprained right knee that he suffered on a diving defensive play in the first inning.
The Royals don’t seem overly concerned about the injury, but “Moose” seems likely to sit out of Sunday’s series-finale with Seattle as a precautionary measure. He was 0-for-1 on Saturday afternoon at Safeco Field before being replaced at third base by Yuniesky Betancourt.
Moustakas, 23, is batting .262/.317/.461 with 16 home runs and 50 RBI in 95 games played this season.
UPDATE, 7:49 PM: Dutton reports that Moustakas will undergo an MRI on Sunday morning.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)