Jul 28, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
From Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star comes word that Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas was removed from Saturday’s game against the Mariners because of a sprained right knee that he suffered on a diving defensive play in the first inning.
The Royals don’t seem overly concerned about the injury, but “Moose” seems likely to sit out of Sunday’s series-finale with Seattle as a precautionary measure. He was 0-for-1 on Saturday afternoon at Safeco Field before being replaced at third base by Yuniesky Betancourt.
Moustakas, 23, is batting .262/.317/.461 with 16 home runs and 50 RBI in 95 games played this season.
UPDATE, 7:49 PM: Dutton reports that Moustakas will undergo an MRI on Sunday morning.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)