Jul 28, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval strained his left hamstring while stretching for a throw at first base on Monday and the Giants have decided they won’t go short-handed on their roster any longer.
Per Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, Sandoval was placed on the disabled list this afternoon while light-hitting infielder Emmanuel Burriss was designated for assignment and first baseman Aubrey Huff was activated from the disabled list. Marco Scutaro, who was acquired from the Rockies late last night, was also added to the active roster and is starting at third base this afternoon against the Dodgers. Scutaro hasn’t made an appearance at the hot corner since 2008 as a member of the Blue Jays, but he’ll be asked to play there every day for now.
The move with Sandoval is retroactive to July 25, so he’ll be eligible to return on August 9. Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that they are hopeful he’ll be ready by then. It’s worth noting that August 9 is the last day of a road trip, so they could wait until they begin a six-game homestand on August 10.
Sandoval, 25, is batting .299/.352/.491 with eight home runs, 33 RBI and an .843 OPS in 62 games played this season. He missed five weeks after undergoing surgery in early May to remove a fractured hamate bone from his left hand.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 7
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)