Jul 28, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval strained his left hamstring while stretching for a throw at first base on Monday and the Giants have decided they won’t go short-handed on their roster any longer.
Per Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, Sandoval was placed on the disabled list this afternoon while light-hitting infielder Emmanuel Burriss was designated for assignment and first baseman Aubrey Huff was activated from the disabled list. Marco Scutaro, who was acquired from the Rockies late last night, was also added to the active roster and is starting at third base this afternoon against the Dodgers. Scutaro hasn’t made an appearance at the hot corner since 2008 as a member of the Blue Jays, but he’ll be asked to play there every day for now.
The move with Sandoval is retroactive to July 25, so he’ll be eligible to return on August 9. Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that they are hopeful he’ll be ready by then. It’s worth noting that August 9 is the last day of a road trip, so they could wait until they begin a six-game homestand on August 10.
Sandoval, 25, is batting .299/.352/.491 with eight home runs, 33 RBI and an .843 OPS in 62 games played this season. He missed five weeks after undergoing surgery in early May to remove a fractured hamate bone from his left hand.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 3
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 81
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)