Jul 29, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners are close to dealing reliever Brandon League to an undisclosed team that isn’t the Braves or Rangers. The San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman is hearing that it might be the Giants, while Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says the Mariners and White Sox have discussed League.
League was 37-for-42 saving games for Seattle last year, but he lost his job in May and hasn’t been able to regain it from Tom Wilhelmsen, even though his ERA is down to 3.05. He could spend the rest of the season as a setup man or a closer, depending on what team he’s traded to. He’ll be a free agent for the first time this winter.
6:25 p.m. EDT update: A deal must not be that close: League is currently working the eighth inning with the Mariners up 5-2.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)