Jul 29, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners are close to dealing reliever Brandon League to an undisclosed team that isn’t the Braves or Rangers. The San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman is hearing that it might be the Giants, while Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says the Mariners and White Sox have discussed League.
League was 37-for-42 saving games for Seattle last year, but he lost his job in May and hasn’t been able to regain it from Tom Wilhelmsen, even though his ERA is down to 3.05. He could spend the rest of the season as a setup man or a closer, depending on what team he’s traded to. He’ll be a free agent for the first time this winter.
6:25 p.m. EDT update: A deal must not be that close: League is currently working the eighth inning with the Mariners up 5-2.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)