Jul 29, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners are close to dealing reliever Brandon League to an undisclosed team that isn’t the Braves or Rangers. The San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman is hearing that it might be the Giants, while Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says the Mariners and White Sox have discussed League.
League was 37-for-42 saving games for Seattle last year, but he lost his job in May and hasn’t been able to regain it from Tom Wilhelmsen, even though his ERA is down to 3.05. He could spend the rest of the season as a setup man or a closer, depending on what team he’s traded to. He’ll be a free agent for the first time this winter.
6:25 p.m. EDT update: A deal must not be that close: League is currently working the eighth inning with the Mariners up 5-2.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)