Jul 29, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners are close to dealing reliever Brandon League to an undisclosed team that isn’t the Braves or Rangers. The San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman is hearing that it might be the Giants, while Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says the Mariners and White Sox have discussed League.
League was 37-for-42 saving games for Seattle last year, but he lost his job in May and hasn’t been able to regain it from Tom Wilhelmsen, even though his ERA is down to 3.05. He could spend the rest of the season as a setup man or a closer, depending on what team he’s traded to. He’ll be a free agent for the first time this winter.
6:25 p.m. EDT update: A deal must not be that close: League is currently working the eighth inning with the Mariners up 5-2.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 10
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)