D’Backs acquire third baseman Chris Johnson from Astros

Jul 29, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT

chris johnson ap AP

From MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart comes word that the Astros have acquired offensive prospects Bobby Borchering and Marc Krauss from the Diamondbacks for third baseman Chris Johnson.

At first glance, it’s another crafty deal for Astros GM Jeff Luhnow. Johnson had a nice showing in his first real chunk of major league playing time back in 2010, but the 27-year-old owns a .314 career on-base percentage and he doesn’t play great defense.

Borchering, meanwhile, has slugged 61 home runs in his first 394 major league games. The 21-year-old third baseman and corner outfielder was the 16th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft. Krauss, a second-round pick in that ’09 draft, has a .924 OPS and 15 homers in 434 plate appearances this year in Double-A. He has a slugger’s profile.

Johnson will take over as Arizona’s primary third baseman. Ryan Roberts was recently traded to the Rays.

1. wlschneider09 - Jul 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM

So there you go. Just when you thought you couldn’t extract anything else from the Astros…

Although getting a guy batting .924 is promising.

2. artthoumad - Jul 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Johnson for a guy that is hitting .924? id take that trade anyday lol

3. magnusmagnolius - Jul 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

So who gets called up to replace Johnson; Dominguez, or Paredes?

4. joshco77 - Jul 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

His OPS is .924 not BA. And Ryan Roberts got traded to the Rays, not Orioles. It was the other magnificent, strikeout king Mark Reynolds that got traded to the Orioles.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Yeah, but Reynolds makes up for it with his gold-glove caliber defense…oh wait…

5. paperlions - Jul 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Looks like a great trade for the Astros to me. Johnson is about a replacement level player….getting a couple of guys that may wind up being solid MLB regulars down the road.

• stex52 - Jul 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Absolutely agree, Paper. Chris is not the future for the Astros. His defense is definitely below par (I hold my breath every time he hurries a throw to first). OPS averages about .700 for the last two years and the power just isn’t there for a third baseman.

Hopefully all of the moves the Astros have made will force Wallace to first and the Astros can fish or cut bait on him.

And they have been protective of Paredes to date, but it’s time to see what he can do at third.

6. keithbangedyermom - Jul 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Jeff Luhnow is quickly becoming a Top 10 GM. Great trade for Houston.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Uh, based on what?

I like the deal based on the deal itself but let’s not get ahead of ourselves, give the guy some time and see if the organizational enema actually results in a turn of the tide in Houston.

7. drewsylvania - Jul 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Wow. Great haul for a guy who could have been had for almost free this time last year.

8. danielcp0303 - Jul 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I almost can’t believe the quality the Astros got back for Chris Johnson. Great trade

9. nprakash5 - Jul 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Horrible move from the Dbacks point of view. First trading away Ryan Roberts now trading away two good prospects to essentially get a similar player.

10. spudatx - Jul 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Good thing Houston has a nice stadium and real MLB teams coming to play their team, because I’m not sure what other reason anyone would have for actually paying to see the Astros play.

• oms0004 - Jul 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I sense a tinge of DFW bias in this comment. Enjoy frying eggs on the aisle in that heat. Ranger fans will love playing in this park next year.

• spudatx - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I’m not from DFW, nor do I cheer for the Rangers. I’m just confused why anyone goes to see the Astros these days. I’m an avid baseball fan and can scarcely name anyone on their roster. I think Chris Snyder may be their only roster player not still in arbitration years, which makes him the de facto veteran leader… doesn’t it? He’s never been in danger of being an All-Star or award winner. So, I guess, Altuve is their star then?

I really hope they are able to attract some serious talent in the off-season, because this roster can’t keep up with the Cubs and the AL is likely to bring tougher times.

11. jdhaire - Jul 31, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Not that there would be any particular disappointment to stand out in this another disappointing season for the Astros — but saying goodbye to CJ is no surprise with the disappointment he’s brought this fan! ..how many times have we seen him stand there, with runners on base, look at a called 3rd strike! — and THEN have the gaul to argue with the ump, or sulk off like a selfish KID — looking anything NOT like the team-leader I think the Astros and the fans looked to him to be! C’est la vie, Chris, good luck in AZ, but you brought your exit on yourself.

My concern is WHEN are the Astros going to actually HAVE a high caliber 3B that can deliver in the clutch, and be the stellar fielder we’ve been looking for? Think about the revolving door since Caminiti’s departure — Chris Truby, …CJ, etc, that were ALL expected to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Looking more & more like the Astros’ braintrust is NOT delivering on the needed product, or there’s a serious lack of baseball talent AND judgment of skills.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3655)