Jul 29, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the 24-year-old outfielder has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and could need season-ending surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon in his right knee.
The injury was first revealed in May by an MRI. He’s tried to play through the discomfort, but it hasn’t worked out very well.
LoMo owns a weak .230/.308/.399 batting line with 11 home runs and 36 RBI through 93 games played this season. He batted .247/.330/.468 with 23 home runs last year and .283/.390/.447 in 2010.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)