Jul 29, 2012, 8:15 PM EST
Andy Martino broke the news today, but he said a deal was unlikely. Following up on it, the Chicago Tribune’s Phil Rogers said talks were dead. The Cubs are open to moving Soto and going with Steve Clevenger and Welington Castillo as a catching tandem, but Soto’s salary was probably more than the Mets were interested in taking on, particularly since they’re now looking more towards 2013.
The Mets have also engaged in talks for Colorado’s Ramon Hernandez and Boston’s Kelly Shoppach in the past without coming away with either. Those players could both come at discounts after Tuesday’s trade deadline, assuming they clear waivers.
Soto, 29, has hit just .195/.278/.345 this season, and given that he’s making $4.3 million, he’s looking like a top non-tender candidate this winter. The Mets could again look at him then. Unless he comes through with a big finish here, he’s probably looking at a salary closer to $2 million in 2013, making him more palatable as a backup.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (181)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)