Jul 29, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The Yankees, Orioles, Indians, A’s and Pirates are among the teams with interest in acquiring Padres third baseman Chase Headley. But there probably won’t be any action on that front this summer.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Friars “aren’t far down the road” in any trade negotiations involving Headley and “might table it to the winter” if it allows other teams to get involved in the bidding.
Headley, 28, is hitting .267/.363/.424 with 12 home runs and 51 RBI this season in 102 games played, and has been one of the most productive overall third basemen in the major leagues.
He’s under contract through 2014, so the Padres are in no real hurry to move him this summer and may be able to snag a better pacakge of prospects if they practice some patience. Or maybe the leaking of this report is part of a strategy by the San Diego front office to drive up Headley’s price. It is, after all, crazy season.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)