Jul 29, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The Yankees, Orioles, Indians, A’s and Pirates are among the teams with interest in acquiring Padres third baseman Chase Headley. But there probably won’t be any action on that front this summer.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Friars “aren’t far down the road” in any trade negotiations involving Headley and “might table it to the winter” if it allows other teams to get involved in the bidding.
Headley, 28, is hitting .267/.363/.424 with 12 home runs and 51 RBI this season in 102 games played, and has been one of the most productive overall third basemen in the major leagues.
He’s under contract through 2014, so the Padres are in no real hurry to move him this summer and may be able to snag a better pacakge of prospects if they practice some patience. Or maybe the leaking of this report is part of a strategy by the San Diego front office to drive up Headley’s price. It is, after all, crazy season.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)