Jul 29, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
One play in the sixth inning of Sunday’s Brewers-Nationals game spawned three arguments with the umpiring crew.
The Brewers were up 3-2 and had the bases loaded with one out when Milwaukee’s Norichika Aoki put down a squeeze that was handed by Washington’s Gio Gonzalez. Gonzalez conceded the run and made the throw to first, but it was off target, forcing Steve Lombardozzi to stretch into foul territory to try to handle it.
I’ll let the AP take it from there:
First base umpire Tim Welke ruled Aoki safe, and Lombardozzi immediately began to argue while holding the ball in his glove. Seeing the argument, Cody Ransom then sprinted home. However, home plate umpire Mike Estabrook ruled time had been called and sent Ransom back to third.
Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke came out and argued with Estabrook that time out had not been called. Washington manager Davey Johnson and Lombardozzi were arguing with Welke at first at the same time while Ransom was complaining to third base umpire Laz Diaz.
Paul Schrieber at second base was the only umpire not in an argument.
None of the arguments proved successful. Ransom ended up scoring when Carlos Gomez hit a sac fly, making it a 5-2 game. The Nationals got out of the inning from there and came back to tie the game at 7 against the dreadful Milwaukee pen in the eighth.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (219)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)