Jul 29, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
One play in the sixth inning of Sunday’s Brewers-Nationals game spawned three arguments with the umpiring crew.
The Brewers were up 3-2 and had the bases loaded with one out when Milwaukee’s Norichika Aoki put down a squeeze that was handed by Washington’s Gio Gonzalez. Gonzalez conceded the run and made the throw to first, but it was off target, forcing Steve Lombardozzi to stretch into foul territory to try to handle it.
I’ll let the AP take it from there:
First base umpire Tim Welke ruled Aoki safe, and Lombardozzi immediately began to argue while holding the ball in his glove. Seeing the argument, Cody Ransom then sprinted home. However, home plate umpire Mike Estabrook ruled time had been called and sent Ransom back to third.
Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke came out and argued with Estabrook that time out had not been called. Washington manager Davey Johnson and Lombardozzi were arguing with Welke at first at the same time while Ransom was complaining to third base umpire Laz Diaz.
Paul Schrieber at second base was the only umpire not in an argument.
None of the arguments proved successful. Ransom ended up scoring when Carlos Gomez hit a sac fly, making it a 5-2 game. The Nationals got out of the inning from there and came back to tie the game at 7 against the dreadful Milwaukee pen in the eighth.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)