Jul 29, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
One play in the sixth inning of Sunday’s Brewers-Nationals game spawned three arguments with the umpiring crew.
The Brewers were up 3-2 and had the bases loaded with one out when Milwaukee’s Norichika Aoki put down a squeeze that was handed by Washington’s Gio Gonzalez. Gonzalez conceded the run and made the throw to first, but it was off target, forcing Steve Lombardozzi to stretch into foul territory to try to handle it.
I’ll let the AP take it from there:
First base umpire Tim Welke ruled Aoki safe, and Lombardozzi immediately began to argue while holding the ball in his glove. Seeing the argument, Cody Ransom then sprinted home. However, home plate umpire Mike Estabrook ruled time had been called and sent Ransom back to third.
Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke came out and argued with Estabrook that time out had not been called. Washington manager Davey Johnson and Lombardozzi were arguing with Welke at first at the same time while Ransom was complaining to third base umpire Laz Diaz.
Paul Schrieber at second base was the only umpire not in an argument.
None of the arguments proved successful. Ransom ended up scoring when Carlos Gomez hit a sac fly, making it a 5-2 game. The Nationals got out of the inning from there and came back to tie the game at 7 against the dreadful Milwaukee pen in the eighth.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)