Jul 30, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
As soon as the Brewers designated George Kottaras for assignment last week the clock was ticking on a trade and sure enough it’s now official: Milwaukee has sent the veteran catcher to Oakland for reliever Fautino De Los Santos.
Kottaras makes up for a low batting average with good power and excellent plate discipline, so it’s not surprising that the A’s viewed him as a solid pickup. And given how poorly starting catcher Kurt Suzuki has played this season–and really, dating back to 2010–Kottaras has a chance to work his way into more than a typical backup role.
Milwaukee essentially chose Martin Maldonado over Kottaras as Jonathan Lucroy‘s backup and getting De Los Santos in return is solid value. Injuries have sidetracked his career, but the 26-year-old former top prospect has 46 strikeouts in 36 innings as a big leaguer and has the potential to be a late-inning bullpen option.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)