Jul 30, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
7:50 p.m. EDT update: Apparently it was a false alarm. Drew exited the office and went to hit in the Diamondbacks’ indoor cage, MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert says.
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported Monday that the A’s and Diamondbacks are still talking about Stephen Drew as Oakland looks to shore up in shortstop situation.
Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com said the A’s also took a glance at the Phillies’ Jimmy Rollins, but while Philadelphia wasn’t asking for a lot in return, salary was an issue. The A’s may have wanted the Phillies to pick up a portion of the approx. $26 million that Rollins is owed through 2014.
MLB.com’s Peter Gammons also chimed in on the A’s earlier in the day, saying the team backed off on Drew and on Toronto’s Yunel Escobar. The A’s also looked at San Diego’s Chase Headley as an upgrade at third base, but they refused to offer right-hander Daniel Straily, who could be added to their rotation next month.
The A’s could always wait until after the deadline to address shortstop. Both Drew and Rollins appear likely to clear waivers, meaning they’d still be eligible to be dealt. Escobar might as well, though his contract is pretty favorable.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)