Jul 30, 2012, 7:35 PM EST
7:50 p.m. EDT update: Apparently it was a false alarm. Drew exited the office and went to hit in the Diamondbacks’ indoor cage, MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert says.
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported Monday that the A’s and Diamondbacks are still talking about Stephen Drew as Oakland looks to shore up in shortstop situation.
Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com said the A’s also took a glance at the Phillies’ Jimmy Rollins, but while Philadelphia wasn’t asking for a lot in return, salary was an issue. The A’s may have wanted the Phillies to pick up a portion of the approx. $26 million that Rollins is owed through 2014.
MLB.com’s Peter Gammons also chimed in on the A’s earlier in the day, saying the team backed off on Drew and on Toronto’s Yunel Escobar. The A’s also looked at San Diego’s Chase Headley as an upgrade at third base, but they refused to offer right-hander Daniel Straily, who could be added to their rotation next month.
The A’s could always wait until after the deadline to address shortstop. Both Drew and Rollins appear likely to clear waivers, meaning they’d still be eligible to be dealt. Escobar might as well, though his contract is pretty favorable.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 118
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)