Jul 30, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
7:50 p.m. EDT update: Apparently it was a false alarm. Drew exited the office and went to hit in the Diamondbacks’ indoor cage, MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert says.
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported Monday that the A’s and Diamondbacks are still talking about Stephen Drew as Oakland looks to shore up in shortstop situation.
Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com said the A’s also took a glance at the Phillies’ Jimmy Rollins, but while Philadelphia wasn’t asking for a lot in return, salary was an issue. The A’s may have wanted the Phillies to pick up a portion of the approx. $26 million that Rollins is owed through 2014.
MLB.com’s Peter Gammons also chimed in on the A’s earlier in the day, saying the team backed off on Drew and on Toronto’s Yunel Escobar. The A’s also looked at San Diego’s Chase Headley as an upgrade at third base, but they refused to offer right-hander Daniel Straily, who could be added to their rotation next month.
The A’s could always wait until after the deadline to address shortstop. Both Drew and Rollins appear likely to clear waivers, meaning they’d still be eligible to be dealt. Escobar might as well, though his contract is pretty favorable.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)